Price matching problem

misog 16:16 09 Jun 06

I want to buy a laptop and have been trying to buy the one I want for the best price by price matching. The problem is that the cheapest retailer uses the wrong model number both on the price ticket in one of its shops and in its online store and by doing this stops me pricematching with another retailer who uses the right model number. It makes me wonder if this is deliberate as it occurs on other laptops as well.

spuds 16:35 09 Jun 06

Model numbers can be a little confusing, due to the fact that some retailers have an arrangement with the manufacturers. Take as an example the DSG Group, PC World for instance. If you check some of their printer range, you will see a model number change by one digit, yet the product is identical to those that have come off the same production line for other retailers. This is a form of identification for (in this case PCW) DSG Group.

Why not ask the store in question, for the reasons why?.

misog 18:28 09 Jun 06

I have tried with the store in question and pointed out that the model number on the price ticket did not match the model number on the laptop below it but they could not see my point.

wee eddie 19:08 09 Jun 06

There is only need for an infinitesimal change in specification for a new Model Number to be issued.

Anyway you will get a better spec for your money, from any of the on-line manufacturers than you will from a retailer, on-line or otherwise.

However dealing with a local Retailer has a number of definite advantages.

Totally-braindead 19:31 09 Jun 06

And whatever you do buy pay by credit card. It gives you extra protection in the case of something going wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…