PRICE OF INK CARTRIDGES

SPRINGER BABE 00:43 12 Feb 03

AFTER BUYING MY SWANY NEW EPSON STYLUS C62 (after hearing from a friend who consulted PC Advisor 'compare with another' which stated the the black cartridge was £11) I WAS (or more so 'the hubby') CHARGED £27.99 FOR THE BLACK INK CARTRIDGE. I PAID £70 FOR THIS PRINTER BUT YET GET CHARGED JUST UNDER HALF THE PRICE OF THE EQUIPMENT ITSELF TO RENEW MY BLACK INK????? IT WAS A STATE OF EMERGENCY THAT HE GOT ONE SO WENT TO COMET AND UNFORTUNATELY PUT IT IN THE MACHINE ITSELF BY THE TIME I GOT HOME. I THINK THIS IS A DISGUSTING AMOUNT TO CHARGE FOR SUCH A PRODUCT SO CAN ANYONE HELP ME FROM HERE ON IN AS I'LL BE DAMNED IF I WILL PAY THAT AGAIN? (especially when the info came from someone/a company that a lot of people may trust)

Djohn 01:45 12 Feb 03

click here and you will find that you can buy 1 black and 1 colour Epson C62 cartridges for, £14-95 total.

And you will find many retailers offering a similar deal. Regards. J.

jscott32 02:00 12 Feb 03
  Djohn 02:07 12 Feb 03

Julie, I hope you don't mind me saying this, but it is unwise to put your e-mail address on an open forum, even one as good as this.

If people want to contact you direct, they can do so by clicking on the yellow envelope at the side of your name. This way the message arrives at your address via PCA and your address is not disclosed unless you reply direct to the sender. Regards. J.

€dstow 08:15 12 Feb 03

For black only printing a low cost laser printer is far more economical. With a Samsung ML1210 or 5400 (which you can get for less than £100) you can get several thousand pages of prints from one full toner cartridge at a cost of about £35 - £40.

Bear in mind as well that with almost all printers, the initial fill of ink or toner is much lower than is contained in a replacement.

€d

Goldcroft 08:58 12 Feb 03

The cost of manufacturers ink cartridges is indeed a scandal. It's almost cheaper to buy a new printer - apart from one thing. As Edstow confirms, I have been told that the cartridges sold with new printers are not full!

Whilst I am on, can anyone lead me to refills or cheap cloned cartridges for the Lexmark Z55. Despite being bought at recommendation of PCA listing it seems the only Lexmark model not included in the sites I have looked at.

Goldcroft 09:06 12 Feb 03

PS: Looked at both the sites recommended. One doesn't list the Z55 the other charges an enormous £30.55 for colour and £26.12 for B/W.

Stuartli 09:09 12 Feb 03

This is an old chestnut, which again highlights printer manufacturers' policy, in many cases, of selling their products at a low price and then charging top prices for their replacement cartridges.

Lexmark, for instance, sold its Z13 for between £20 and £25 complete with cartridges depending on outlet; its original replacement cartridges were just under £30. It was cheaper to buy a new printer....:-)

Polaroid (as an example) used the same tactic many, many years ago with its instant picture film cameras - the camera itself was quite cheap but the films were (very) expensive.

Ellie3009 13:22 12 Feb 03

I just bought 2 black cartridges from Inkcycle.co.uk.
They are refills not originals, but the quality seems to be fine, and they are less than half the price of originals! (just over £10 for an HP injet cartridge)
Fast service too, I ordered them very late on a Sunday night, and they were with me first thing Tuesday morning.

oresome 17:25 12 Feb 03

You'll generally find that at the large electrical retailers, the big ticket items are pared to the bone and much higher margins are made on smaller items like cartridges and scart leads etc. The shops reason that you'll spend hours getting the cheapest deal on the main purchase and then throw it away on the peripherals.
Salespersons commission can be as little as a penny on a large item, but £10 on a scart lead!

Stuartli 19:27 12 Feb 03

£10 commission on a Scart lead?

That's about the top retail price for one and even that's over the top - you can buy Scart leads from under £2 at computer fairs and major component/accessory suppliers such as CPC in Preston.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…