Price differential between instore and e-orders

billgates 15:50 08 Jul 04

Would someone explain why there is sometimes a large difference in price between a shop and its website. Its not uncommon to find a £100 price difference on a £500 TV on the Dixons / Currys / etc..websites. The stockholding cost alone could not account for it ??. Are they palming off returned goods as web exclusives?

Diodorus Siculus 16:10 08 Jul 04

Staff costs, high rental costs of shops (in town / retail parks), heat & lighting, display, public liability insurance, breakages... the list goes on.

Some of these costs are relevant for their e-store warehouses but not to the same extent.

oresome 17:39 08 Jul 04

The reverse situation sometimes exists. I've purchasd items from Empire at lower prices than on their web site, but Diodorus Siculus's comments generally provide the reason.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:26 08 Jul 04

Just buy the cheapest.

G

davidg_richmond 01:54 09 Jul 04

plus the fact that web sites compete against web sites, and stores compete against stores, so there is an added price difference depending on competition in the market.

canard 20:53 09 Jul 04

I asked in the Comet shop why their website was much cheaper and, after a minor earthquake, they told me online Comet is a totally separate biz and that the
workers fear it will close stores. They also pointed out that online sales have lower costs than shop-assistanted ones. Couldn't argue with that but bought online and delivery was free too.

wee eddie 21:29 09 Jul 04

There is considerable value to having the goods in ones sweaty little paws.

Also, Delivery!

These days, delivery is frequently to Card Holder address only and if both of you work, that may mean a days lost wages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now