Premium Rate Phone Numbers

OTT_Buzzard 20:33 08 May 09

I've just posted this link on another thread, but thought it might be useful for general reference.

'Say No To 0870' has a whole bunch of land line numbers so that you don't end up paying the cost of calling premium rate numbers. It does contain more than just '0870' alternatives.

For example, if you wanted to phone Direct Line Insurance on (one of) their phone numbers - 0845 2468585 - the website gives an alternative land line number of 0208 6815566.

click here for the site.

I don't want to break any forum rules, I just thought this may be useful.

Kevscar1 22:44 08 May 09

0845 are locaal rate numbers

OTT_Buzzard 23:08 08 May 09

true, but you'll still pay when calling from a mobile. Depending on your contract or deal, you may well get the call for free

Stuartli 00:13 09 May 09

It's advice that's well known in these forums, but it doesn't do any harm to mention the website again.

AL47 01:50 09 May 09

i didnt know it
thanks

BT 07:45 09 May 09

"but you'll still pay when calling from a mobile"

So don't call them from a mobile!

ened 08:52 09 May 09

I have a set-up where I don't pay for any calls to a landline (with a fixed address) therefore even though 0845 are 'local' rate they still cost me - quite a bit if I am put on hold!

BT: "So don't call them from a mobile!"

Some people have no choice!

namtas 10:01 09 May 09

0845 "but you'll still pay when calling from a mobile"
You also pay when dialling from some other providers ie Talktalk

Stuartli 10:26 09 May 09

TalkTalk and other phone services providers (BT has just changed its approach to 08xx numbers) charge for such calls because part of the income goes to the phone numbers owners.

Normally with "free" phone number packages, calls to 01, 02 and other standard UK prefixes are free of charge.

My TalkTalk monthly bill includes a range of calls to various parts of the UK and abroad (all free), but I'm quite happy to pay the odd 20p or whatever for a call to an 08xx number because it has been my choice to do so.

It's a far cry from the time when you had to pay for EVERY call (including a connection fee) and something which should be more appreciated.

I can recall the FE some years back pointing out that BT could well afford to provide such free calls or at reduced cost because, once a connection had been made and used for a minute or so, BT faced no further expense.

Stuartli 10:29 09 May 09

Just one link for reference from many:

click here

interzone55 15:35 09 May 09

Some people only have a mobile, or you could find yourself in the middle of nowhere and have to call you breakdown company, who often have 0800 numbers, which are far from free to call from PAYG mobiles, and often not free on a contract phone either.

But as Stuartli points out, none geographic numbers such as 0845, 0870 etc are rarely included in landline call plans, so it's always useful to know the geographic number attached to an 08xx number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…