Premium Rate Diallers

the mole 19:11 30 Nov 04

Have you any further news on what to do if you have been zapped by Premium Rate Diallers?

BT do not want to know or do they offer any advice. BT bill astronomical - over £200 when it normally about £40.

Any help would be most appreciated.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:46 30 Nov 04

You are unlikely to get a refund as this is not BT's fault. If you are on BB you will not get a dialer assuming that your modem is disconnected. Have a scan here for some advice.....click here

G

jack 20:00 30 Nov 04

In an earlier string re this topic[ a month or so ago] there was some debate about the culpability
of the telcos in providing facility for fraudulant use.
The general consensus was as Gandulf said not the telcos fault.
But I differed and suggested that some culpabilty did lay at thier door, with a duty of care to whom they sold system time to.
A friend was caught out and showed me an NTL bill
for some pounds, and said NTL shrugged it off and
said tough.
I suggested to her should write again with a firmly worded letter -prefixed 'Without Predujice'
On the lines of my feelings above.

She got her refund.

g0slp 00:37 01 Dec 04

(And your friend, of course)

MichelleC 10:48 01 Dec 04

I think it's high time firms like BT took some responsibility for this type of crime instead of condoning it. BT say they only make about £1.40 per £100 and that it's difficult for them to do anything about it. I can't believe one of the largest communications companies in the world hasn't got the capability of producing some tech kit to combat this. Perhaps they could make it so people were allowed to place a maximum amount on their account so a rogue dialler's illegal premium rates charges would be intercepted sooner rather than later. I also can't understand why this practice is legally condoned. Maybe all it needs is a test case for the loopholes in the law to be changed. It needs some sort of legislation as this legalised theft affects millions of people and it's a problem that's not going to go away.

pj123 16:25 01 Dec 04

I still think that this is a 50/50 shared problem here. If you don't have any protection on your PC then I think that is partly your fault.

eg. If someone gets into your house and takes everything you own how can you expect sympathy if you then say you didn't lock the doors or windows?

I agree that your telephone provider should block premium rate calls but I have done that with my provider. I still get some premium rate calls getting through and the provider says that the criteria changes all the time. Surely they should be monitoring this all the time and if the block doesn't work then they should update their software to make it work?

Noelg23 16:29 01 Dec 04

if you have broadband dont leave your dial up still connected cos it will disconnect the broadband and try to connect using the dial up...also for more info about the premium rate numbers go to click here its not BTs fault...so lets not point fingers to them...they are aware of the situation but the link I have given are the ones who deal mainly with premium rate numbers and are now giving out licences for people who are going to be using premium numbers...anyone caught not having a licence gets cut right away...

pj123 12:54 02 Dec 04

I am on NTL Broadband but I still have an internal analogue modem installed. This is because I use it to send faxes. It is always unplugged from the telephone line when it is not in use.

Noelg23, I still don't see how it can disconnect the BB and reconnect via the modem. Possibly, because I am on NTL (which is cable) so there are no telephone lines involved it doesn't work, but I have never had a problem. I do have as much protection as I can get (I think) Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and AVG.

the mole 10:01 03 Dec 04

Thanks for all your comments. I have enough tobe going on with.

jack 16:37 04 Dec 04

Is ther a sofrware to be reccommended thats detects the presence of a dialler if and when one creeps in?

The Spires 19:51 04 Dec 04

My telco click here bars premium numbers by default which is fine by me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…