In Praise of Sony

ch0pper 19:57 08 May 04

I have a Sony laptop that is 18 months old.

I am very pleased with it; it is, like most Sony items, well-built and designed if not the cheapest product available.

Just before Xmas last year I started to have problems with the click buttons benath the touch sensitive mouse-type thingy. Basically, they needed a hefty tap to get them to work (in fact several hefty taps) and the problem was getting worse.

Dreading the potential cost, I phoned Sony to ask about a repair.

They promptly arranged next-day collection by a courier and the computer was back at my house 3 days later.

The cost? £20 to cover the courier and nothing for repairing/replacing the little switcjes under the 'click buttons'.

I was very impressed. No fuss, no trouble and an apology for the 'failure that meant the computer was not up to out expected standards'.

phoenix198 21:55 08 May 04

I too have had excellent service from Sony more than once and in my experience their return to base service is second to none.

On the first occasion about two years ago, a Vaio laptop 'died' during an OEM upgrade from Windows ME to Windows XP; Sony collected the laptop, replaced the motherboard and returned it from France within four days!

The second occasion was two weeks ago when my Vaio desktop hard drive gave a SMART failure warning during boot-up; again they collected the unit, replaced the HDD and returned it within four working days.

On both occasions their support staff were unfailingly polite and helpful, and Sony upheld their warranty to the full.

Compared to some of the service horror stories related here <cough> Microdirect click here <cough> I consider Sony to give exceptional service.

Mind you, at their price premium, so they should!

Stuartli 09:07 09 May 04

The reason why they are not cheap is precisely because they are well built and designed...:-)

That's why a Mercedes, BMW, VW and similar quality vehicles have a price premium; likewise, for instance, for Miele appliances - properly maintained and serviced they will far outlast those of mainstream, mass produced competitors.

Forum Editor 13:33 09 May 04

about the high quality of Sony's customer service that I'm not at all surprised by this one. I've heard a few bad reports, but all companies get those, and in Sony's case it seems that the good far outweighs the bad.

Thanks for sharing some good news, ch0pper

Doogie Howser 18:54 09 May 04

That's nice to know, recently purchased a VAIO laptop from John Lewis (2 year warranty included) which I'm very pleased with. Couldn't agree more with Stuartli - you gets what you pays for (usually!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…