Practical side of changing broadband ISP

Mcfearty 17:17 29 Jul 05

I have discovered I can get free evening phone calls, in addition to the free weekend calls I get at present from my telephone provider if I change to them for Broadband.

I am a bit wary in relation to stories I have seen on the net about people still being charged by their former ISPs, and all the other things that can go wrong, and would like advice as to what steps I must take to make this change as painless as possible.

Could somebody please tell me what is required on the practical side. I have read something on here about a MAC number and that Pipex only receives cancellations by email. Apaart from that I am in the dark.

georgemac © 00:34 30 Jul 05

first ask your telephone provider if they can transfer you using a mac code - not all will do this. If they do, contact your exisiting ISP and request a MAC code and terminate your contract (ensuring you have met any minimum term contract length or you will still have to apy them until the end of the period). Give the MAC code to your telephone company and they will switch you. You may lose your connection for a couple of hours and you will need to change your usernam/password and possibly a couple of other settings - depends what hardware you use & the companies involved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…