Powergen, electric bill

Stormpool 19:12 24 Jul 04

There is a relation to computer's somewhere in here, so bear with me :o)

Ok, the electric bill is £300 per quarter, a long time ago it used to be about £120.

If we turn off the electric circuit and have no lights running, the meter is still spinning round.. Powergen said it's because it takes time to stop?!? I don't understand that because turning a kettle on and off and it's instant speed up and slow down.

My main concern, is it possible my three pc's are a main attribute to the electricity bill? I have been running one of them 24/7, without monitor on, as my server. And the other two on about half the nights of the week and all day sunday.

Dad wants me to just run 1 for a week, when i need it at the moment, so we can see what affect it has.

Any ideas? What do other people run? What are you electricity bills like?

bvw in bristol 19:49 24 Jul 04

Statement 29th June 2004 from Powergen for last quarter Electricity £77.18

2 PC's running 24/7.

3 bed semi here.

961 19:53 24 Jul 04

Get the meter checked

Are you sure someone else isn't getting their juice thro' your meter?

Turn EVERYTHING in the house off and see if the meter stops. If not, find out why

Turn your main switch off. Wait to see if someone complains

Stormpool 20:15 24 Jul 04

"Turn your main switch off. Wait to see if someone complains"

What, like our next door neighbour? :o)

"Turn EVERYTHING in the house off and see if the meter stops. If not, find out why"

It didn't stop when we tried it, finding out why might be a toughy.
The powergen guy said it's probably takes a while to stop, i think we should seek a second opinion about this.

Anyone got any ideas on what could be causing a "leak"? of power?

They won't come out to check the meter without sufficient evidence there is a problem with it, they've asked us to monitor what we use over a week and then they will compare it to electricity used...

Ranger 20:35 24 Jul 04

I seem to remember reading somewhere that running a pc 24/7 would cost over £100 a year

Way1 20:55 24 Jul 04

As an electricity supply worker in Northern Ireland, I can tell you that the wheel will stop eventually - usually within half an hour of everything being switched off. Best method is to switch off at the mains and then you will be sure that there are no appliances operating.
You should also be able to request a temporary test meter to be fitted next to your existing meter and as the units record on your own meter, they will also be recorded on the test meter. This way, your generation board should be able to determine whether or not your existing meter is faulty.
The fee for this service is in the region of £30 and is payable in advance. If your meter is found to be faulty, then the fee, together with the over-charge will be refunded. However, if it is not faulty, then you have forfeited the said amount.

spuds 21:11 24 Jul 04

If you turn off all the 'juice' users, one at a time,your meter should respond instantly.Juice users would be immersion heaters,electric kettles, storage heaters and the like.Work your way through the system, until you have no components using electricity swiched on, excluding of course essential items like medical monitoring equipment or alarm systems which do not have standby power.Keep a checklist of the results. In the end, you should have an idea as to the power being used, and to what component is making the disk spin faster or slower. The meter will or should slow down as less juice is used.

If you have items with standard 3pin plugs, then you can purchase a power checker device from Maplins for about £12.00. This will give you a true juice user indication each plugged item is using.The device can be set so that the actual consumption charge as provided by Powergen, can be calculated on each plugged item and what 'juice' it as used.

As a final check, you could ask a local competant electrical firm to check your circuit wiring and devices. There would be a charge for this, but I would imagine the cost would prove a financial saving in the long term.And don't forget, if they are reputable enough, their services will be an independant view, which should help, should you consider further action. Having a bill increase of £180.00 per quarter, would in my eyes suggest that something is seriously wrong.Powergen, if they have always been your supplier, will hold all your previous account details, and this increase should be very noticable to them. When you receive an estimated bill, this is how they calculate their estimation, via previous usage over a period of past quarterly/yearly usage.

I had a similar problem of a 'spinning meter'and Powergen arranged for their contractors Seiman's to install a new digital [no spinning disk] meter.In the end,it is not in PowerGens interest to save you money, should the fault lie with you or your electricity usage, then you will need to resolve the matter yourself.

fred 21:18 24 Jul 04

A friend of mine lived in a flat that had metered leccy. One day the money ran out but the lamp stayed on. One socket was obviously on another circuit.

Guess which socket had the electric fire connected to all winter?

Turn everything off. The disc should stop within a few seconds.

fred 21:18 24 Jul 04

A friend of mine lived in a flat that had metered leccy. One day the money ran out but the lamp stayed on. One socket was obviously on another circuit.

Guess which socket had the electric fire connected to all winter?

Turn everything off. The disc should stop within a few seconds.

Stormpool 21:26 24 Jul 04

"Turn everything off. The disc should stop within a few seconds."

Contradicts our fellow "electricity supply worker in Northern Ireland" Way1

So, which do we think it is?

I've very interested by "I seem to remember reading somewhere that running a pc 24/7 would cost over £100 a year"

I will see if I can scour the web for some facts.

I will pass the information to my parents to see what they propose to do.
Thanks for the advice so far!

howard60 21:28 24 Jul 04

electricity is charged in kilowatthours that is 1 unit of electricity is registered after 1 kW of electricity has been used for 1 hour. 3 pcs together are probably about 1 kW. 1 kW for 24 hours for 7 days and 13 weeks equals 2184 kWh at about 6 pence a unit is £131. My pc goes on when I want to use it and off when I no longer need it. As an ex London Electricity Electrician [many many years ago] I often working for the investigation section looking into sudden unexpected high bills. These generally came down to a faulty circuit running to earth through a high resistance fault using current but never enough to blow the fuse or circuit breaker. Most common fault being the immersion heater. Enough current to warm the water but never enough to trip out the thermostat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…