PowerColor Radeon 9550 - Doesn't work

mattyc_92 19:52 23 May 06

Hi guys...

As this is more of a "moan" than a "help...I'm stuck" thread, I thought it would be better creating it here

Following my thread on whether to buy the above graphics card (click here), I have had problems with the card...

I have had loads of "3D Hardware" errors, and VPU Recover messages (finally displaying the "3D Hardware" error).

I thought I was getting a real bargin for £40 from Maplins yesterday. I have spent the best part of today troubleshooting the card.

I am getting a refund, all going well, tomorrow.

Just a friendly warning for anyone else interested in this card!!!

Colin 20:24 23 May 06

mattyc_92 - What graphics card did you have before the 9550? These errors do not necessarily mean the that the card is faulty. Have you installed DirectX, the latest ATI drivers and chipset drivers?

Stuartli 21:22 23 May 06

See my posting in:

click here

Stuartli 21:24 23 May 06

I also have the 9550 (Sapphire 256MB version); works fine for me but I did clear out all previous drivers and just installed the ATi driver and not the bells and whistles Catalyst software.

mattyc_92 09:11 24 May 06

I had the PNY nVidia G-Force FX 5500 card.

I have even formatted my computer to see if that will sort it out. As it didn't, I restored my computer back using Acronis

Stuartli 10:10 24 May 06

Just one point. Is your PSU up to the job?

You probably need at least a 300w PSU and more likely 350w.

mattyc_92 17:20 24 May 06

Yes.... The PSU is a 350w

I have done some more trouble-shooting today, and discovered that the card worked (abit slugish) before I installed anything but the OS, drivers and a game

mattyc_92 18:37 25 May 06

I've brought a "PNY nVidia GeForce 6 6600" card today, and it works perfectly

I am awaiting my refund from Maplin Electronics (they wanted to do some tests to make sure I haven't damaged it)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…