Power Surge Microfilter Addition.

Big L 266 11:05 15 Jan 11

Hello.

I'm quite protective of my Bessie and want all her working components to stay working and healthy for many years to come.(Unlike me whose working components are dysfunctional!)

I was searching for an ADSL brodband modem/router surge protector.I eventually came across one which would be suitable. Its supplied as two-piece item.The first plugs into the phone socket,and the surge protector plugs into the back of the first. Into the back of the surge protector goes the microfilter and ultimately the cables from that go into the phone and router itself.

I'm protecting both phone and router from a power surge down an old copper cable. Although there was no problem with the phone connection,I've noticed a very slight drop of internet speed.Its only a little and I can live with it as my internet speed is 15100kbps.

I'm hopeful to have covered all bases from main telephone point to computer with my APC UPS back-up,and now this power surge protector.I only mention this in case it may be of use to someone who,like me,takes quite seriously the protection of his beloved computer whom I call Bessie.(She's 2 years old on the 4th Feb!)

All the best.

Big L 266

Woolwell 12:07 15 Jan 11

Doesn't your UPS provide surge protection?

westom1 00:27 16 Jan 11

> I'm protecting both phone and router from a power surge down an old copper cable. Although
> there was no problem with the phone connection, I've noticed a very slight drop
> of internet speed

Did you know the best protector for any phone line is already installed for free by your telco?

Quote the specification numbers on that new protector. And good luck. It does not claim protection from each type of surge - especially not the type that would do ADSL modem damage.

Learn why most phone appliances suffer damage. A surge is an electric current. That means the current incoming and to earth is everywhere simultaneously in that path. No protector stops that current. Once that current is permitted inside a house, then that current chooses which appliance will be the destructive connection to earth. Protection means no surge anywhere inside the building.

Phone line appliances (modems, portable phone base stations, fax machines) are a perfect path from AC mains to earth ground via the always installed 'whole house' protector. The electric current path. Incoming on AC mains, through ADSL modem, to earth ground via the phone line. First current is everywhere in that path. Then damage happens to an item or items in that path.

Any protector that would even try to stop a surge is simply blown through. Sometimes can make damage easier. Any protector that would block or absorb that energy is a scam. No protector does that.

So, did you know about the protector installed for free your telcos? Did you learn what only you are required to provide so that the best protector can be effective? The only component always required in every protection 'system' is what you must inspect or upgrade - single point earth ground.

No protector does protection. Not even the superior 'whole house' protector. The NIST (US government research agency) defines what you must know to have surge protection:
> You cannot really suppress a surge altogether, nor "arrest" it. What these protective
> devices do is neither suppress nor arrest a surge, but simply divert it to ground,
> where it can do no harm.

Only component always required for surge protection and what should most concern you - does earth ground both meet and exceed post 1990 National Electrical code? As the NIST says so bluntly, a protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

Big L 266 10:25 16 Jan 11

Hello.

woolwell....Yes,the UPS does provide surge protection as of yesterday when my new patch 6 cable turned up.So now it runs from the router into the UPS and out into the computer.I have kept the phone socket surge protector in the hope it'll prevent a power surge from the phone line into both the router and telephone. I'm hopeful it'll keep everything as safe as it can now be.

westom....Some years ago with my other computer,there was an overhead storm.From that came one vicious flash of lightning and a thunderclap.Although it didn't hit anything (I watched it from my porch in the bungalow) it played havoc with my internet connection.I had to get an external internet connector to get online.It made me realise just how sensitive computers really are.Beyond surge protection at my phone/router point and from the UPS into the computer,I know nothing about electronics.I learn from the good people in here how to best do things like this.I did read all of your reply,but its way over my head especially how my bungalow is wired.Nonetheless,I do thank you for all the time and trouble you took to reply.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that I have done sufficiently well enough to protect my beloved Bessie.

Big L 266

westom1 13:44 16 Jan 11

> I did read all of your reply, but its way over my head especially how
> my bungalow is wired.

It really is not difficult. But to understand how protection works, you must first unlearn what others have taught you. And remember concepts taught in primary school science.

Lightning seeks earth ground. Shortest path to earth is via a wooden church steeple. Wood is an electrical conductor. Just not a very good conductor. So 20,000 amps of lightning creates high voltage in that wood. 20,000 amps times high voltage is high energy. A church steeple is damaged.

Franklin installed a lightning rod (a protector). But a lightning rod by itself (just like a protector inside the house) does not do protection. A lightning rod works only when it connects lightning to earth ground. So the lightning rod must have a very conductive wire connected to earth ground electrodes. 20,000 amps down that very conductive wire means near zero voltage. 20,000 amps times near zero voltage is near zero energy. Lightning connects to earth with near zero energy - no damage.

A computer or any other appliance is just like that church steeple. A not very conductive and therefore easily destroyed path to earth. Either you earth one 'whole house' protector so that lightning is absorbed by earth outside the building. Or that destructive energy is inside hunting for earth destructively via an appliance of its choice. Lightning hunts for earth via appliance just like it hunts for earth via wooden church steeples.

No protector - not one - nada - protects from lightning. Your magic box will somehow stop what 3 miles of sky could not? Of course not. That is what a ‘magic box’ ADSL protector or any UPS claims. It will magically stop what even a wooden church steeple cannot.

Scam is any protector inside the house that magically absorbs a surge. Read its spec numbers. They say its hundreds of joules magically absorbs surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules. Nonsense. That is a scam. Even church steeples could not absorb that energy.

Protection is always about where energy dissipates. Always. No exceptions. True for every protector as it was true for Ben Franklin's rods. Once energy is inside a building, then no protection is possible. None.

Either you connect lightning harmlessly to earth where the wire enters your building (a 'whole house' protector). Or you have no protection. Either you connect lightning harmlessly to earth before it strikes the roof (a lightning rod). Or your have no protection.

Nothing here is new. You were taught how lightning rods work in elementary school. Same applies to any protector. Like a lightning rod, that protector must have a short (ie 'less than 10 foot') dedicated wire to earth. Or it protects nothing. That protector sometimes makes ADSL modem damage easier. Any protector adjacent to electronics is ineffective.

How to identify any ineffective protector or UPS? 1) No dedicated wire for the always required – for as long as you live – always required short connection to earth. 2) Manufacturer will not discuss earthing. Your ‘magic box’ protector is ineffective for both reasons.

Your phone line already has a 'whole house' protector. Like a lightning rod, is that protector connected to single point earth ground? Only you are responsible for the only thing that makes hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate harmlessly. Only you are responsible for a ground rod that connects to every incoming cable - telephone, AC electric, cable TV, and satellite dish.

Every wire must connect to earth ground either directly (ie cable TV) or via a protector (AC electric, telephone). Otherwise you have zero protection. Otherwise energy is inviting inside.

Just like Franklin's lightning rod is a protector. Either a protector has the always required - must never be missing - short connection to earth. Or the protector does not even claim surge protection. How can this be hard? Either the wire to earth ground must exist. Or the protector is best called a scam. Most people recommend the scam due to an education from advertising.
{continued in next post}

westom1 13:44 16 Jan 11

{continued from previous post}
That ADSL modem protector does nothing. Does not even claim to do anything (see its numeric specs). And cannot do anything without that short connection to earth. That magic box must have a dedicated wire that goes 'less than 10 feet' to earth, no sharp wires bends, routes separated from all other wires, etc. It is that simple. Your ADSL has no such wire. Therefore is ineffective. Is only a profit center.

Earth ground is your only protection. Without it, lightning rods and protectors (power strip or UPS) do nothing. Responsible protector manufacturers sell 'whole house' protectors for AC mains. Your telco installs one for free because that superior solution is so good and costs so much less money.

No protector stops or absorbs surges. Once energy is inside, then nothing averts a destructive hunt for earth via appliances. Either you have earthed all surges (including lightning) outside the building. Or you have ineffective surge protection. Your choice.

Protection is always about where 20,000 amps dissipate. Always. A protector is only as effective as that shortest connection to earth. It is that simple. And just as simple - any protector that claims to stop or absorb lightning is a scam.

So. How attached are you to the lies that so many recite? Most get angry when reality is introduced. It is hard to admit the expensive ‘magic box’ was a complete scam. Learning about protection means unlearning the so many lies from advertising and hearsay. Just like it is hard to admit Pond’s does not make age defying creams. Or that all cold remedies in the drug store are scams. Your choice. Either your protector has that short and dedicated wire to single point ground. Or it is a scam. Because, just like a lightning rod, a protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

I am Spartacus 14:33 16 Jan 11

westom - Can you put that in a simple(r) way please so that anyone who doesn't know how your mind works knows what you're talking about. Thanks

Big L 266 09:41 17 Jan 11

Hello.

westom....Thank you very much for your comprehensive in-depth two-part reply. I'm pretty sure the wiring in my bungalow has been done to the highest standard by my local authority,and I'm happy to believe that it would protect me and my electronics.

The fusebox is I guess quite modern and it trips out when there have been supply problems including a local surge some years ago which blew out many a television around this area.I am also happy to believe I've done all I can to protect my phones and computer especially in regards to power failure. I can do more.

Nonetheless,I am very grateful for your assistance.I didn't learn much about electrics at school in the 60s because it wasn't taught. I do understand more now largely thanks to BBC documentaries down the years about lightning, Faraday cages, power supplies etc.

I hope my Bessie appreciates everything I've done for her!

All the best.

Big L 266

namtas 10:15 17 Jan 11

The only sure way to protect your household equipment from a power surge be it mains induced or electrical storm is to disconnect everything from the wall, not just switched off but disconnected physically by unplugging. You will also have to unplug all telephone and for good measure satellite cable connections that are in any way connected to your pc.

westom1 03:27 21 Jan 11

> The fusebox is I guess quite modern and it trips out when there have been supply
> problems including a local surge some years ago which blew out many a television around
> this area.

Surges are done in microseconds. Circuit breakers take milliseconds or seconds to trip. Nothing in a house properly wires only for human safety will provide effective surge protection.

Your example demonstrates how much protection is already inside every appliance. Effective protection means, for example, the ground wire from the breaker box must be separated from other ground wires, no splices, no sharp wire bends, etc. If that ground wire goes up over the foundation and down to an earth ground rod, then it completely meets code. And compromises surge protection.

Effective projection means a 'whole house' protectors installed (and properly earthed) in the breaker box. If not, then protection is only that already inside every appliance.

Either a protector connects short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to earth. Or that protector is not effective. Protect[b]or[/b] and protect[b]ion[/b] are two completely different items. Most of that post is about things completely new. Anything technical and new requires at least three rereads to grasp it.

Protection means both meeting and [i]exceeding[/i] NEC (human safety code) requirements.

Bottom line fact is simple. Either a protector connects short to single point earth ground. Or effective protection does not exist. A protect[b]or[/b] without earth ground does not even claim protect[b]ion[/b]. Protect[b]ion[/b] is always about where energy dissipates. A protect[b]or[/b] is only as effective as its earth ground.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…