power supply from USA, other components from UK

metric man 19:56 16 Jul 13
Answered

I am going to buy the power supply, RAM and hard drive in the US and the other parts (CPU, GPU and motherboard) in the UK. Will there be any compatibility issues? My main concern is the power supply.

here is the power supply I'm gonna get:

click here

spuds 00:18 17 Jul 13

I would have possibly suggested different power supply, but looking at the advert, it seems to state 90v - 264v. Perhaps best to get the full specifications of the item?.

Perhaps something further to think about, before going ahead with any purchases. Have you considered import duties and handling charges that might apply, if the parts are being imported. You might also find that with certain IT or computer equipment, the USA have strict controls on export.

The Old Mod 06:09 17 Jul 13
Answer

Looking at your link for the PSU it states, AC INPUT 100v-240v I can't see a problem with that, the other worry would be frequency and it states 50hz-60hz, so that should be OK as well.

alanrwood 10:02 17 Jul 13

Would not even consider buying the power supply from USA with the risk of added Import duty, VAT and shipping charges. The same is available from Dabs for £69.99 and you will get the benefits of a UK supplier to honour any warranty and protection from Sale of Goods Act and Distance Selling Regulations. Considering the USA base price is only £10 cheaper I would not even consider it.

alanrwood 10:04 17 Jul 13

Same with the hard drive. What if it gets damaged in transit which is possible for such a delicate item. Don't expect the USA company to pay return costs.

metric man 15:31 17 Jul 13

Ok, you guys have answered my question but I'll explain the context: I live in Brazil and I have an uncle who is going to visit New York this month and he is going to buy some parts for me, but he said they have to be "small", thus my reason for buying the RAM, HDD and power supply. Later this year I'm going to visit London and buy the "bigger" components there (motherboard, GPU, CPU). In regards to the taxing, one person is allowed to bring up to 500 dollars total in goods with them without paying the taxes, but I'm pretty sure that my uncle will bring 500+, so unfortunately if one of the parts break I'll have to pay the taxes for it (which in Brazil means practically paying for it again). You may think that i should just buy everything from England, right? well, if I do that the price will definitely be above 500 dollars, so i prefer to risk the "cheaper" components (RAM, HDD, power supply), which are about 60-70 dollars each, than the more expensive ones which will probably be 100-200 dollars. Not the ideal way to buy things, but the taxes in Brazil are ridiculously high and i don't want to pay double the amount that it's suppose to be.

spuds 16:30 17 Jul 13

Living in Brazil brings a different dimension to your requirements, because myself and possibly the other forum member's may have been under the impression that you where UK based?.

I would still suggest that you get the full specifications regarding the PSU.

metric man 16:44 17 Jul 13

I'm sorry about not mentioning my location beforehand, I should have said something. But since the voltage/Hz is the same in England and were I live (220V/50Hz), I thought it didn't matter. If I get a power supply that can handle 220V/50Hz, I think I'll be okay.

spuds 17:04 17 Jul 13

If the electrical specification are the same, then everything should work out fine. When I was living and working around South America, there was a tendency of power failures and voltage fluctuations in certain areas. Some electrical parts could take a real bashing, especially if they were not overload or current protected!.

metric man 17:47 17 Jul 13

spuds yeah there are power failures here sometimes. Although I've never had an electrical product break due to a power cut, i guess it doesn't hurt to have some kind of protection against such things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac