Power lead for HP laptop - very poor connection

David-235429 22:25 20 Nov 06

I have a real problem with my HP laptop power lead making connection. The unit is about 18 months old and the retailer is no longer around.

The lead loses connection about every 5 mins to I am forever pulling it out and pushing it back in (just pushing it back it wont work) even then it can take 4 or 5 pushes in and out before it "takes". Its a real pain in the b*m.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem. Do you think HP might replace the power lead FOC ?

Many thanks

David

Forum Editor 23:52 20 Nov 06

if it is actually the lead that's faulty, or the connectors in the machine. You'll only find out by trying a new lead.

The machine should still be under warranty - you can check by looking at the warranty document that came with it, but in any case I should talk to HP - they're usually very helpful.

Call them on 0870 010 4320 between 8:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m Monday to Friday, and 10:00 a.m. and 4:00p.m. on Saturday

ForestChav 02:30 21 Nov 06

The machine's 18 months old, warranty is only 12 months, slightly confused now :S

spuds 10:34 21 Nov 06

Irrespective of how long the warranty states, there are certain consumer laws that may give an added advantage.There is no such thing as a definite 12 month time scale. The advice given by the FE, about contacting HP is worthwhile. I have contacted HP on two previous occasions, and they were extremely helpful.

Would also suggest, that you visit a Maplin Electrical store click here , if you have one within reasonable distance. Take the laptop and cord with you, I tend to find they can be very helpful in solving such problems.

wee eddie 11:46 21 Nov 06

that the Power Supply Port is coming adrift from the MOBO, to which it is attached on some Laptops.

This is somewhat critical and may require a new MOBO.

So: Keep records of any calls you make, who you speak to, what they said and when!

No Company spends that kind of money on a repair job without a wee tussle.

ForestChav 12:27 21 Nov 06

The only definite timescale suggested by the law is the six months reverse burden of proof - where if a product is less than six months old the retailer has to prove there was no fault when it was purchased; after this, the consumer has to prove there was a fault when it was purchased. The other timescale is the cut off limit to make a claim under the Sale of Goods Act for it not to be fit for purpose when it has not lasted "a reasonable time" - this is undefined, and based on the cost/use of the product.

This is all fine... but the OP did state that the retailer is no longer around; consumer rights only allow provision to make a claim against the retailer because that's who the contract is with.

The limited warranty provided with the laptop will only be for 12 months though. The laptop is outside that... it is also dubious whether the fault would be covered on the warranty even if it was in warranty as loose or missing power pins sometimes aren't covered under warranty if the manufacturer classes it as accidental damage or misuse but they will need to see the product to decide that normally.

Contacting HP is all well and good but the machine will most likely need a new mainboard, which will probably be chargeable, and quite pricey.

The option of making any claims against the retailer is not there because the retailer no longer exists.

spuds 12:41 21 Nov 06

"consumer rights only allow provision to make a claim against the retailer because that's who the contract is with".

If the item was purchased via a credit card or computer finance agreement, then there are procedures and provisions under Equal Liability of Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (as amended).

If the retailer is no longer around, then you may or may not have a claim under the above said Act.

Z1100 13:53 21 Nov 06

The Standard warranty will be 12 months on the laptop. It will also be RTB not onsite.

Further to this, the power supply IS classed as a consumable part and will not have any warranty after 12 months even if the laptop did manage to get a 3yr limited warranty. The same goes for the battery, the warranty does not match the machine even if you extend the warranty. There will be no FOC on either.

Having managed the HP Standard & Extended Warranty call centre for Bronze, (that’s you and me that buy home use kit) customers I can confirm that is true. I can also tell you that HP are indeed good if you ask to speak to customer services and you are good at complaining very nicely. ?

HP do a nice deal on Support Packs to extend the warranty but again that will NOT cover the power supply or battery for the same reason as above. It will however cover accedental/dropped/water damage. Give them a call they are nice people to do business with.

Hanx!
K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017