Postage?

Megs 00:39 29 Jun 03

How do we stand regarding postage? A couple of weeks ago I ordered a processor from Eclipse and a heatsink and cooler from Scan. Eclipse sent the wrong processor and the fan from Scan packed up after a week (not their fault I know).I have had a considerable battle to get my postage costs from Eclipse with their support guy even trying to say that the processor I ordered didn?t exist (Athlon XP2600 266fsb), which was absolute rubbish, and even then they wouldn?t fully reimburse my return postage as they said they can send anything to anywhere in the UK for £1.50 (funny how they charged me £5.00 plus vat),and Scan charged £7.00 plus vat to send the fan and I had to pay to send it back, this has truly put me off online shopping, why do we have to pay for other peoples mistakes/faulty goods, it?s quite absurd, and why Eclipse felt the need to be downright argumentative I will never no.

monkeyshine 00:45 29 Jun 03

They charge you for Post and PACKING, while they may reimburse you the Postage, they will not normally refund the packing bit!

Megs 01:20 29 Jun 03

I think you are missing the point (or maybe I am)why should you have to bear the costs of faulty/incorrectly supplied items,I paid them to PACK the correct item.And how much do I charge them for packing? Is my time free? But what I was asking is where do you stand as a customer,is this practice correct/legal?

velodrome 04:48 29 Jun 03

If you went to the small claims court with this case you would win and get your money refunded plus court costs.
However, are you prepared to go to the trouble to take these companies to court for such a small amount.
The companies know that you are unlikely to do this and are taking advantage of you.

pj123 13:08 29 Jun 03

I know what you mean. I ordered a CD from a company (nameless) and they charged £2.95 for postage. When I got the package I put it on my postal scale and it was 35g. Which according to the scales would be "up to 60g = 28p." How do they justify £2.95 for a 28p stamp?

Belatucadrus 13:39 29 Jun 03

How do they charge £2.95 ? Even in todays automated world they have to pay for somebody to pack and post the CD. If you don't want to pay extra look at click here

But be warned even if the price is shown as carriage free, the labour cost will be in their somewhere. suppliers that don't budget for it go bust very quickly.

pj123 14:08 29 Jun 03

Belatucadrus Understand what you are saying, but even so I posted a CD to another Forum Member recently and even with the "bubblepack envelope" costing 20p that would only come to 48p maximum. As these companies hold a customer database and they want to sell you their products it doesn't take long to put a CD in an envelope and print a label???

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 14:16 29 Jun 03

QVC annoy me a little with this. Although I have NO COMPLAINTS whatsoever with their customer service which is amazing, their postage costs are unbelivable.

They charge stupid prices for P & P and after that they take between 3 - 5 days to send the items. I wish they would just put the cost of postge into their product price although this is where they probably make a large part of their cut.

SEASHANTY 15:05 29 Jun 03

You are quite right to complain about the postage costs. If Eclipse or any other mail order company send you the wrong item you should be able to reclaim all postage costs charged and they should also bear the costs of return. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM AGAIN. Also have a word with your local trading standards dept about it. Unfortunately the small claims court only deal with items over £100. I object to the exhorbitant postage and carriage charges that some firms sting you with. Micro Direct, Manchester, charge minimum of £8 plus vat = £9-40. I could call at their shop and pick it up for
no charge but they will not let you do that on net orders. Many firms get a rake off from the carriers by having an exclusive contract with them - and they do NOT pay the charges they inflict on their customers.

Belatucadrus 15:48 29 Jun 03

That's the nice thing about Amazon, any problems and they give you a freepost return address.

pj123 you're still thinking in terms of material costs, Did you also calculate how much you would have been paid for your time plus the expenses of maintaining your home for the time involved ? Companies need to. Bother now I sound like an accountant, time for a brew I think.

pj123 16:49 29 Jun 03

Get your tea down you, you could have sent 20 packages out during that tea break? But come on, most people are paid an hourly rate whether they do anything or not. Like I said most companies have a database of addresses. They don't seem to mind paying someone for their time to send out junk mail at the standard PO rate, and they even give you a reply paid envelope to send it back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…