Possibly looking for a new laptop - Recommendations

KateHaynes 00:16 30 Mar 14

Long story short; I've had a MacBook Pro (13-inch) for several years now and I'm pretty sure it's reached the end of it's lifespan and I may be looking for a new computer. I know I can't afford another Mac just yet, so if it really is unfixable (taking it into the shop on Monday) I will have to buy a new Windows laptop.

What I want to know is what laptop models/makes would you recommend for under £550.

Would be mostly used for surfing the web, sending emails, creating/editing Microsoft Office documents, storing and viewing personal photos/videos/music etc. but it would be used for large parts of the day with several programs open at once.

As a bare minimum it must have/be:

• Under £550 (May be able to stretch that to £600 if I can borrow £50 from friends/family)
  • 15.6 or larger screen size
  • 3+ hour battery life (for the occasional train commute)
  • Decent RAM and storage.
  • Be able to tolerate being in use for most of the day.

Any suggestions? It's been so long since I bought a laptop that I'm just confusing myself with all the specifications now.

spuds 00:39 30 Mar 14

This is a question that is aired on the forum often, and quite a number of good responses and suggestions are available, if you check out the PCA archives for a possible suitable replacement laptop, that might suit your needs.

Woolwell 20:14 30 Mar 14

It is quite a difficult question to answer. Some like some keyboards, others do not. For your use you do not need to spend anything like £500 to get a suitable laptop. You have general use. Check battery life because that is going to be the most difficult part.

Suggest that you go to somewhere like John Lewis and have a play with a few.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now