poss new phone scam?

johnnyrocker 19:25 14 Apr 08

this evening my phone rang and when i answered it a recording said this call is for miss (russian type name) press any button to continue, at this point the call got terminated after 30 secs. my question is would anyone know what would have happened had i carried on? (as a point of interest i have just recceived a second one this minute)

johnny.

Graham. 19:36 14 Apr 08

If you press any button you confirm you are a person. How they use this is anyone's guess.

spuds 19:43 14 Apr 08

I would contact your telephone service provider and seek further advice. A similar scam was going around last year, and when you press a button on the phone, it suppose to connect to a premium rate line.

johnnyrocker 19:56 14 Apr 08

thats what i was afraid of.

johnny

kingisangus 21:25 14 Apr 08

The rumour of a scam where you press a key and get connected to some premium number at £5 a minute is an urban legend that never seems to die.

johnnyrocker 22:57 14 Apr 08

no it is just that it states press any button to continue and one wonders where it might take you

johnny

jimmybond 23:10 14 Apr 08

who cares where it takes you. Perhaps everyone has overlooked the (seemingly!) obvious here, but as long as someone is phoning you, then they are paying for the call. Pressing numbers during a call has no special features which allow you to be billed.

It's an odd call and probably trying to sell you something - but all the premium rate stuff and £5 a minute is a hoax, as kingisangus has said.

johnnyrocker 23:15 14 Apr 08

i never implied it was anything like that.

johnny

jimmybond 23:19 14 Apr 08

sorry it's just that when spuds said "A similar scam was going around last year, and when you press a button on the phone, it suppose to connect to a premium rate line"....

and you replied "that's what I was afraid of"

...I assumed you thought that you might get billed somehow.

spuds 00:22 15 Apr 08

A bit more info:
click here
click here

jimmybond 00:38 15 Apr 08

that's interesting, the guy JohnM in the first link has it right and knows his stuff, you can tell the people that don't though, as they SHOUT, underline, and use the same childspeak format as the hoaxers. DO NOT answer...SCAM...PREMIUM RATE....forward to EVERYONE you know ;-)

Strange though as the personal safety advice page in the second link, while good advice in general - has it technically wrong where they say "....common scam that asks you to press a button on your handset to claim your prize. You’ll be connected to a premium-rate line at your own expense". this is not true. it is not possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…