Portable desktop - impossible dream ?

xquest 12:25 22 Dec 03

A desktop user friend wants a new machine. He wants to be able to use it in an upstairs room and also occasionally downstairs. He is not happy at the price of a large laptop (around £1500). He will be doing digital photography, slide shows, possibly video work, word processing, internet.
The spec will probably be 2Ghz, 80Gb HDD (I think larger is better), 512Mb. He will use a scanner, printer, flat screen (TFT), possibly a separate film scanner, possibly an external floppy drive if not built in.
He wants to be able to carry at least the keyboard and mouse, CPU and screen from upstairs to downstairs (where his artist's paraphernalia is).
I've discussed with him a large laptop with docking station but he is not keen.

Any ideas ?

JerryJay 12:40 22 Dec 03

Go for Shuttle XPC
Info: click here

Suppliers: click here
click here
click here

Or Mini-ItX Pcs
click here

They are many many so called "Small Form Factor PC" you can easily carry around. Some even provide with you a bag for it.

andrew-216448 13:51 22 Dec 03

try this click here

xquest 18:02 24 Dec 03

Many thanks, pamintacake and JerryJay. I have passed on your advice and perhaps he will follow things up after Xmas and the New Year.
Best wishes

Forum Editor 18:56 24 Dec 03

and use a decently specified laptop. It will be every bit as good as a desktop in terms of performance, and although it will cost more initially he might soon be glad he went down that route when he doesn't have to lug a box plus keyboard etc around.

I regularly work with large graphic files, and PowerPoint presentations and my laptop handles it all perfectly. When I want a bigger display I simply connect the machine to one of my monitors.

The great benefit of the laptop is that I can take it wherever I go, and no matter how much you try you can't use a small form factor PC on a plane ot train, or in an airport lounge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…