Poll on ISPs revealing IDs

Coaster3 13:58 26 Apr 03

"ISPs should reveal the identities of customers engaged in heavy P2P file-swapping:"

I think the data protection people might have something to say about this!

Taran 14:35 26 Apr 03

I'd agree, but I imagine that it might not be too long before some kind of legislation to the above effect is sorted out or at the very least attempted.

I'd also imagine that the vast majority of those who voted that they disagreed to their ISP disclosing the identities of downloaders are those who regularly participate in illegal software/music appropriation rather than being genuinely disturbed about personal privacy and so on.

Before we get lost in the debate over whether or not it is legal, moral or otherwise for ISPs to disclose such information, just stop and think about how many millions of wasted gigabytes of network traffic there are when those Kazaa/Morpheus et al users are plying their trade. It lowers quality of service to other, legitimate users and will eventually drive up prices and/or lead to further bandwidth capping.

So we all will end up paying one way or another for their actions but hey, that's OK, just as long as they have the latest music CD tracks, film titles or software releases.

Let's also spare a thought or three for the vast amount of money being lost by the software and music/video companies which, once more, will no doubt adversely affect charges and costs long term. Whether you agree or not with the high cost of software and audio/video media is immaterial. What is relevant is whether or not you want to break the law.

Let's say I want a DVD. Let's say I walk into a shop and pinch it. Let's say I persistently get away with it to the tune of serious amounts of moneys worth. Now let's I copy everything I've stolen and sell said copies to friends, family, colleagues at work and so on.

Sound unrealistic ?

Reality check.

That's exactly what Kazaa/P2P file sharers are doing, but they do it by hiding behind their ISP rather than walking into the store.

There are more facets to this argument than enough but those who break the law in bandwidth hogging P2P filesharing will no doubt be the loudest to protest against any measures to prevent them doing their thing.

Legitimate file sharing is there and available for freeware, shareware and music/video titles where the authors are happy to distribute that way. It's a far cry though, from what is currently going on out there.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:46 26 Apr 03

'"ISPs should reveal the identities of customers engaged in heavy P2P file-swapping'...it is illegal. Being illegal ISPs are under obligation to reveal the ID to Government services. They also have to keep records of all messages. Retrieving personal data on anyone breaking the law has never been and will never be a source of concern for the data protection agency.

'I think the data protection people might have something to say about this'...presumably 'guilty as charged'

G

Goldcroft 15:16 26 Apr 03

Coaster3. Just in case you missed it, if you look down the page for the above thread, you will find it is on the same subject.

Coaster3 17:34 26 Apr 03

That thread seems to have got completely off the point and has deteriorated into an arguement as to whether P2P is legal or not and whether Bill Gates condones it!!!

Goldcroft 21:38 26 Apr 03

Then in that case you should use the existing thread to turn it in the direction you desire.

Coaster3 21:41 26 Apr 03

Yes Sir!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…