Please Recommend A Sub £1000 Laptop

special sophie 19:20 23 Apr 03

Hi all I'm in the market for a sub £1000 laptop could anyone please recommend a good reliable one please. Thanks

Murray 20:32 23 Apr 03

When I hover my mouse over the word 'reliable' a link to Microsoft appears - "Secure, Scalable and Manageable"

It reminds me of the Oxymoron - Microsoft Works.

Enough MS bashing...

I'm not really in the business but, IMHO - If I were going to buy laptop, I would go for a DELL. I've heard really good stories about them. Well built, tested and excellent aftersales support.

graham√ 20:36 23 Apr 03

But if you get a reliable one, you'll still come on here, please?

pj123 22:20 23 Apr 03

Do you want New or Secondhand? If secondhand is OK check this site and give them a ring. You will get lots of change out of £1000. click here

Ben Chuud 22:35 23 Apr 03

Try this and let me know what you think of it

click here

Ionix

Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz CPU (512K 478P)
512MB PC2100 SO DIMM DDR RAM
60GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
15inch LCD SXGA+ TFT Colour Display (1,400x1,050)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 M9 64Mb DDR RAM
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Microsoft Wndows XP Home
1 Year UK Collect and Return
Free Carry Case

£999.00 (excl. VAT) £1173.83 (incl. VAT)

Ben Chuud 22:42 23 Apr 03

I am planning to purchase this laptop myself.

click here

Has anyone purchased it and what is the company like for service and technical help and advise.

Comments much appreciated

special sophie 19:32 24 Apr 03

Thanks very much everyone and yes Graham I could never leave this place it's my second home

special sophie 19:38 24 Apr 03

Wow that seems pretty impresive spec wise

Aspman 14:35 25 Apr 03

You could try this Compaq at Dabs. £786 inc VAT

Says 14" screen in the spec but if you read to the bottom its been upped to 15".

click here

Dunno if the link will work but its quicklink number is 2B0ZWS.

Barry-273472 11:58 26 Apr 03

Special Sophie

Medion has a good reputation on this forum, sold by Aldi (if you can get one); as Cybermaxx by ToysRus or Cybercom by Staples.

ToysRus have a 2.66GHz Pentium with 512 RAM, 40GB HDD and a 64MB NVIDIA graphics card with a DVD, CDR combo for £999. It is a 15" TFT screen with Microsoft Pack.
click here

Try Staples also unless you see an Aldi bargain.

Taran 12:29 26 Apr 03

Toshiba, IBM, Dell and Compaq are my favourites in about that order.

I'd suggest you examine your own intended use and buy accordingly. If you want the longest possible battery life as opposed to the fastest performance or vice versa you may want to look at one product over another.

Many budget notebooks use a desktop computer CPU and this may result in faster performance but it does adversely affect battery life and you can get heat problems where the notebook becomes uncomfortably hot if it's resting on your lap or the cooling fan runs permanently which can be irritating.

There are a great many options out there, but as I've said, much depends on your intended use. Think about what you want from the notebook, then look at who provides hardware/performance to match your own requirements.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…