Please recommend a good firewall

dfritter 11:01 24 Mar 04

I have recently started to bank online and want to install a good firewall protection. I have tried zone labs but before i buy anything i wanted to get some opinions on the matter. Any recommendations?

D Fritter

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:28 24 Mar 04

There is no point in buying as there are many free alternatives such as Outpost click here Judging by the number of hack attacks on bank servers I think it is them that need the protection. There are some other free ones that I'm sure will be posted but as I have said before there is no need to pay.

G

johnnyrocker 11:30 24 Mar 04

go to the downloads section of this site.

johnny.

rickimalone 11:43 24 Mar 04

Have always used Norton Internet Security, it is not cheap but has given me piece of mind and being a relative novice found it very easy to use.

Stuartli 11:47 24 Mar 04

ZoneAlarm (free version) is as good and efficient as anything you can find - I've used it for years and it's served me well.

PC Advisor has also advised it on many an occasion...:-)

click here

whatsupdoc 13:22 24 Mar 04

free edition does whatyou need of it without fuss

wags 13:51 24 Mar 04

Ditto Stuartli and whatsupdoc. Zone Alarm is free and very easy to get on with.

Belatucadrus 15:08 24 Mar 04
  computernerdiamnot 18:28 24 Mar 04

I use f-net and its not free but if you get any computer mags they are giving you free updates until september it also incorporates a anti-virus program got good reviews.

computernerdiamnot 18:29 24 Mar 04

sorry its f-secure internet security

Forum Editor 18:47 24 Mar 04

what protection you are expecting from a firewall in terms of your online banking. Your banking sessions will take place on a secure server, and you'll be in a locked room as far as the rest of the world is concerned. A firewall isn't really going to make things safer than they will be anyway.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a firewall - it's a good thing to have as far as general Internet use is concerned, but from the banking interface point of view it will be of no help at all. Your bank will have made every effort to protect your data, and under no circumstances should you rely on a software firewall to keep any sensitive information safe. If you want to store personal financial information you should not do it on your hard drive - keep the data on removeable media such as ZIP disks, and keep them out of the drive when you're not actually using them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now