Please help, I urgently need a new desktop

ireallyambob 17:43 08 Oct 08

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new P.C. at home, It will be used for gaming (a bit) and a lot of MS Office work. I'm looking to spend around £700 tops. I have seen this PC for £699.99
* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
* AMD PHENOM Quad Core 9950 Processor
* 4096MB Corsair DDR II Memory
* 750GB SATA II Seagate Data Storage
* NEC 7200 Multi Format DVD/CD ReWriter
* nVidia GeForce 9800GT 1024MB PCI Express Graphics Card
* 7.1 High Definition Surround Sound
* ASUS Deluxe Motherboard
* Multi Format Memory Card Reader
* 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
* 12 x USB2 Ports
* Hanns G 19” Widescreen TFT 5MS Flat Panel Screen
* Logitech Multimedia Keyboard
* Logitech Optical Mouse
* Creative Inspire 6100 5.1 Speaker System
* 12 Month Classic Warranty

but thought i would need to upgrade the PSU on it as well..... I would consider building a PC myself but i would like to know what i should be expecting to get for £700. Thanks for your time.
Jon

GaT7 18:59 08 Oct 08

Tbh, you won't get very much better than that if you were to build it yourself.

But, with the latter, you have a better choice - can choose components/brands that you really want/need, & will also be ideal if you're an avid upgrader.

E.g. you can choose:

- A motherboard you can view all the features before buying, & that has the future in mind [SLI/Crossfire support may be?]
- A CPU that you may think of overclocking in the future [Intel CPUs are usually much better than AMDs in this regard]
- A case that you like, has good cooling, is relatively quiet & has enough space for expansion & adding additional cooling if required
- A PSU that'll be powerful enough for now & future upgrades
- 2x2Gb modules of RAM [leaving 2 slots free for future upgrades - not sure what their configuration is]

If you buy the system you posted, I'd suggest the following changes/queries:

- Upgrade the PSU as you said
- Take the HD 4850 graphics card as it's better than 1Gb 9800GT for the same price
- Swap speakers for a 2.1 set [5.1 sets can be a pain to set up properly - thing about the space needed & all that wiring!]
- Find out exactly what motherboard it is
- Find out more about the PC case

Something to be aware about this company is that they sometimes swap branded components for cheaper value components. Hence, when your PC arrives, make sure to open the case & check that you received all that was advertised, or equivalent specs/value at the very least. G

ireallyambob 19:30 08 Oct 08

thanks for the advice.
Quick question though, do you think i will need to look at a quad core or would i be ok with a dual core cpu and a compatible motherboard for upgrading in the future? Just trying to figure ways to reduce cost further if possible but still get a good PC.

GaT7 20:28 08 Oct 08

Yes, a dual-core CPU will be absolutely fine. May I suggest the E5200 click here or E7200 click here. Btw, there are AMD triple-core CPUs too, e.g. click here.

Most, if not all, quad/triple-core CPUs these days are compatible with most dual-core motherboards. Sometimes, depending on the motherboard's chipset, a BIOS update will need to be carried out in order to be compatible with the newer dual/quad-core CPUs. These things can be determined on the motherboard's website.

However, in the future, newer CPU sockets will be introduced & the present socket-775/AM2 motherboards will not be compatible with them.
Then, if you want to upgrade from dual-core to something better, you may need to buy secondhand CPUs off eBay, as the older triple/quads will probably be unavailable in the shops. That's what has already happened to the older dual-core CPUs. But by then, you may opt for a fresh mobo+CPU combo. Or even a completely new PC, just like you're doing now. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…