pixie-egg 21:50 17 Feb 04

can you please check this and tell me if the prices are ok for what im getting?
thank you
click here

Indigo 1 22:24 17 Feb 04

Looks good pixie-egg but theres no operating sytem included by the looks of it.

Just read your other thread, I would love to have a thousand quids to spend on a new PC and it would not be much different from this one.

User-312386 22:31 17 Feb 04

there is an OS included in that one, second line down

pixie-egg----- try the smaller outlets as the bigger places look like good deals but sometimes are not what they seem

as in the other thread i would look here click here and chop and change to what you want. ie add an operating system (you get the full o/s disc with nethighstreet) the one that i have listed has a 128mbddr graphics card and a AthlonXP2600 processor

I dont think you really need to spend £1000

dfghjkl 22:33 17 Feb 04

for that money,i would forget about 64 and get a dvd writer,and maybe a tv card,you should get a seperate sound card for that money and a lot more software,power dvd and nero,you will have a pc that will last and do a lot more things for your money,you need to shop around,buy a pc mag,they are always doing tests on certain priced pcs and they usualy contain a guide as to what to demand for your money,you wont notice the differance with 64 from what i read,especially as all the software wont be able to take advantage of it yet,and when it does you will have to pay to upgrade i expect,just my opinion,but you did ask.peter.

Indigo 1 22:41 17 Feb 04

Your'e right madboy, I just scanned over it and I also agree £1000 is a lot to spend on a PC. It's possible to get an excellent PC for less than £700 that will stay good for many years.

There are many sites that will put a PC together for you and build in exactly what you want but you should be sure you are getting what you want/need.

pixie-egg 22:46 17 Feb 04

so what would you suggest Indigo 1?

User-312386 22:58 17 Feb 04

dont rush in and just buy anything

look around, take a few days, even a few weeks to find what is right

Indigo 1 23:24 17 Feb 04

I suggest you talk to people in the know, you've made a good decision already by asking here. Don't just jump in and grab the first apparently good deal that you see. Make sure that the person who you are buying for wants what you get them, it is far better to take your time over these things as a PC is a tool that get's used one heck of a lot.

For £1000 I could get 2 PC's and they would both be fine for at least 4 years, they will never be considered slow..... well not for many years anyway.

The Athlon 64 is the way forward but technology won't be able to make the most of it for a while yet.

All this hype about the fastest PC is just that hype. You don't need the fastest or the latest you need the most reliable.

Stuartli 14:35 18 Feb 04

The key question when buying any new system is will it run the software/programs you use now and the type you will/may require in the near future at maximum efficiency?

For most people buying the very latest, fastest and most comprehensively specified model is likely to be a waste of time and money; it's certainly doubtful they would notice the difference for most of the time speedwise.

I'm perfectly happy with a Celeron 400MHz CPU on a near five-year-old motherboard with 256MB of RAM - a slightly faster CPU could save the odd few seconds or so but, for 95 per cent of what I do, it's perfectly adequate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…