PlayStation 3

Bleep 09:04 17 May 05

Anyone want to but my 6800 GT ??? It going on eaby today. 7 Core 3.2GHz CPU with a GPU capable of 120 Intructions per clock 2x that of the 6800 cards and the same price as a 6800 Ultra??

click here

"Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision and 1080p resolution--some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today. " click here

"The GPU itself can process 136 shader operations per cycle, compared to 53 shader ops per cycle of the current GeForce 6 GPU. In terms of shader performance, the RSX is clearly more powerful than even two GeForce 6 GPUs." Anandtech click here

Bleep 14:29 17 May 05

click here some good pictures of it... What a beast... 6800 GT is now on ebay....

Bleep 14:33 17 May 05

A good watch is at the bottom of the page the Sony E3 2005 Press Conference, stream it..

Rigga 16:41 17 May 05

Looks very impressive, especially the games demos.

I'm always a bit sceptical of technical demos, but from the games demos on display, it's looking like a new generation is on the horizon.

Although I must say that when it's finally released in spring 06, I wouldn't mind betting that the PC graphics cards have caught up, or are just about to catch up.

Not sure if the PC's internal's and CPU could match the PS3 in just twelve months though. So maybe the PS3 will be the way to go for your gaming needs in the future.

R.

Bleep 19:07 17 May 05

'Although I must say that when it's finally released in spring 06, I wouldn't mind betting that the PC graphics cards have caught up, or are just about to catch up.'

Proberly true however, the words direct from Nvidia spokesman on the Press conference states that the RSX chip is more powerful than two 6800 Ultra's in SLI Set-up, you would have to spend well over £1000 on graphics card alone to compete with a £350 games console, no contest. A PC to match it at its laucnh would be well over £2000.

Definatley worth watching the Sony E3 2005 Press Conference at the bottom of this page click here with floating point performance 2 teraflop it is very very powerful.

Cybermaxx 21:51 17 May 05

Yes, very impressive etc., but will these new consoles have any good strategy or simulation games released for them? I suppose most people's answer would be, "Who cares?", but not me! I want to carry on playing the likes of Silent Hunter 3, Il-2 Sturmovik, the Total War games, and the Command and Conquer type games.

As for first person shooters (which I also like), will the new consoles be offering mouse + keyboard support for every game? There's no way I want to go back to using a gamepad for such games.

Also, after the pre-launch hype surrounding the PS2, and it's (in my opinion! I did buy one, it's packed away in it's box.) disappointing performance, I'm sceptical about the whole console experience.

Rigga 21:55 17 May 05

Yeah it is definitely worth the watch, I watched the whole 1h 50m press conference, earlier today.

And I agree with the Nvidia spokesman, today graphics like those seen in the PS3 are exceptional, and probably are 2x6800 Ultra quality, but in twelve months time, I doubt that the 6800 Ultra will be the cutting edge of PC graphics.

Don't get me wrong, I think the PS3 WILL be the most powerful gaming platform when it is released. I think it will blow every PC, even hardcore one's out of the water in terms of sheer power and graphical performance.

But I would definitely say that within a year of it's release PC games will be of equal quality, and then they will overtake the PS3, the same as happened to the PS2.

Now I'm not knocking the PS3, or PS2 for that matter (I own one of the latter), there is no way, that for the same money as the PS3 when it's released, you could build/buy a PC system that would come close to matching it. So in that way Consoles will always have the edge. Especially when you consider that all console makers sell their first run next gen hardware at a loss!!!

I already have my money ready for the PS3 release, and I will probably also have money ready for the next gen PC hardware.... It's hard being a gamer it really is :)

R.

powerless 21:58 17 May 05

The PC will catch up as it can develop.

The console is stuck upon release for 5 years.

Bleep 22:24 17 May 05

I am going to buy both, and when I can affoard to buy a PC for £2000 and then affoard to keep updating it with the year on year development of it's technology i'll do that also.

I have today realised how much money I have wasted in the last 5 years,

ATI 9500Pro 2001 £199

then a:

ATI9800Pro 2003 £269.99

and then:

6800GT 256MB 2004 £250

= £718.99 and all the time I was still playing with my PS2 and Xbox.

In the last 5 years ive also gone from a AMD XP 1500+ to a AMD XP 2500+ and now to a AMD64 3500 +, all to play the lastest game!! ha and thats the only real benefit I got from all that money.
My old AMD 1500+ would still run word and internet, email etc just as well.

And that not including PC3200 RAM a SATA HDD !!!

I am sick of buying a graphics card just for 6 months later something better to come out.

All the above so I could play FARCRY,DOOM3,HL2 just for them all to come out on the XBOX and really at the end of day they look preety much just as good as my high end PC and certainly not worth the £1000's I have spent.

So with that my PC gaming days are gone until i'm rich enough to care, Microsoft and Sony's economies of scale with Nvidia and ATI makes high quality gaming a reality for less than a high-end graphics card so be it......

And I also get a Blue Ray ready DVD player and:

PLAYSTATION 3 SPECIFICATIONS

CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base 7 Core @3.2GHz

--1 VMX vector unit per core

--512KB L2 cache

--7 x SPE Cores @3.2GHz

--7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs

--7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE

--*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy

--Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops

GPU NVIDIA RSX @ 550MHz

--1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance

--Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels

--Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point
shader pipelines

--Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

MEMORY

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz

256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s

VRAM--22.4GB/s

RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)

SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

SYSTEM FLOATING POINT PERFORMANCE:

2 teraflops

STORAGE

--HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

--I/O--USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)

--Memory Stickstandard/Duo, PRO x 1

--SD standard/mini x 1

--CompactFlash(Type I, II) x 1

COMMUNICATION

--Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

--Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g

--Bluetooth--Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

--ControllerBluetooth (up to 7)

--USB 2.0 (wired)

--Wi-Fi (PSP)

--Network (over IP)

AV OUTPUT

Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

HDMI out x 2

AV multi out x 1

Digital out (optical) x 1

DISC MEDIA
CD
PlayStation CD-ROM
PlayStation2 CD-ROM
CD-DA
CD-DA (ROM),
CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD Hybrid (CD layer),
SACD HD
DualDisc (audio side)
DualDisc (DVD side)
PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-ROM
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc
PlayStation 3 BD-ROM
BD-ROM
BD

And 5 years of not having to worry about up-grading.....

Cybermaxx 22:49 17 May 05

Hmmm, I'm still on my first PC, bought March 2003. According to this site, it fits into the budget category now, price-wise. All I've added is a 9600XT (which is about as good as your old 9500 Pro!) for £110 and one 512MB DIMM for £40. It runs Far Cry alright at 1024 x 768, haven't got the other two games mentioned. I only need one gaming machine, and this is it!

Unless you have to play EVERY game released at MAXIMUM resolution, spending £1000's on components is a waste.

VNAM75 23:59 17 May 05

PS3 looks very interesting and is rumoured to be twice as powerful as the Xbox 360, which is a surprise and a bit of a shame. I opted for the first Xbox because of it's power edge over the PS2. It Appears from what I've seen so far the PS3 has the edge in all aspects and personally I think it looks better too.

These next generation consoles are much more multi media capable which is a big bonus. Anyone seen the picture of the Nintendo Revolution? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…