Playfire.com ,is it an e- address gatherer?

caccy 19:38 12 Jun 09

Does anybody know anything about this site since it has sent me three identical e-mails "Two of the addresses which I now do not use"
It would seem that the information has come from my son's address book (he clicked the link) but did not give my e-mail addresses to them!

The e-mail reads as follows

Hey (my "e-mail address",)
Your friend "his e-mail address" player's name (zzzzzz) has invited you to join the new social network for gamers, Playfire.com.
"Click here to check it out"
At Playfire.com, you can:
? Create a killer profile to show off all your games (we have over 40,000 games in the database!)
? Add your friends and follow what they're playing
? Stay up to date with news, videos and sceenshots for the games you track
? Hang out with other gamers and have fun!
It only takes a few minutes to sign up, so "have a look now"
Warm regards,
Playfire Team

UUMC Ltd., 19 Greek St., 1st Floor, London, UK, W1D 4DT

caccy 21:53 12 Jun 09

Did a web search on their site.
There have been lots of complaints, especialy with x-box, about playfire getting addresses.

birdface 08:21 13 Jun 09

Hi.I had a quick look myself and never found any problems.But obviously missed the site's that you found.Nevertheless always better running your security programs just to be in the safe side.

rebonuk 12:15 14 Jun 09

Hi guys,

My name is Kieran O'Neill, one of the owners of Playfire.com. We're a small web startup based in London, UK trying to make a soial nework for gamers.

The email you've received was sent because someone registerd, then sent out an invite email to their friends. I suspect you got three because the person who invited you had all 3 of your emails in their address book, and they choose to send to all of them.

Everything we do is fully above board. It is NOT an email address gatherer.

Just wanted to come in and clear things up!

Thanks,

Kieran

(Any questions feel free to email me - kieran at playfire dot com)

birdface 12:29 14 Jun 09

Well what a good response.It was very nice of you to come and explain the why caccy received so many e-mails.I am sure he will be quite happy now knowing that everything is Ok.
Best of luck with your company and thanks for taking your time to answer caccy's predicament.

caccy 20:59 14 Jun 09

rebonuk
Thank you for your reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017