play.com

bapiow 14:41 08 Apr 07

Over the years I have always used Play.com for Games DVD'S and bits and bob's.
Much respected company I thought.
I could even be in the wrong
Bought the Xbox 360 from them 6 weeks ago and have just had the dreaded Ring of death on my box.
Phoned Microsoft Tech and was told it was dead and to return Box for repair, good I thought.
Phoned Play and was curtly told to get in touch with Microsoft because I had had the Box for more than 28 days and that they are not responsible anymore!
Phoned again later and spoke to another person,
I got the same reply.
Have now emailed them and sent a letter.
Any suggestions! and should I dig my heals in.
First confrontation I have ever had with a company.

Kate B 15:01 08 Apr 07

Your contract is with play.com, not Microsoft. It's up to them to fix/replace a faulty unit.

Totally-braindead 15:05 08 Apr 07

Insist on returning it to Play.com, under the sale of goods act you are entitled by law to a one year guarantee and it is illegal for them to refuse to take it back for repair or replacement.
The 28 days makes no difference whatsoever.
They are in the wrong. They cannot by law refuse to take the Xbox back. Unless of course it was sold second hand with say a 30 day guarantee.

TOPCAT® 16:24 08 Apr 07

these regulations as they are based in Jersey? Sometimes mainland rules for some things do not apply over there.

Here's a relevant clause of the Sale of Goods Act:

'Q6. Is it true that I have to complain to the manufacturer?

No. You bought the goods from the trader, not the manufacturer, and the trader is liable for any breaches of contract (unless he was acting as the manufacturer's agent)' click here

And here's Play.com's T&Cs: click here

TOPCAT® 16:54 08 Apr 07

Under 'Liability' of the T&Cs clause 25 states:

'All electrical products are covered by a twelve month manufacturer's warranty. If your product develops a fault while under warranty, please contact Play.com and we will advise you where to send it for repair. It is a "return to base" warranty therefore there will be a delivery charge to return the product back to the relevant UK service centre.'

The last clause of all in their T&Cs states: 'These Terms are subject to the laws and exclusive jurisdiction of the Island of Jersey, Channel Islands.' TC.

FungusBoggieman 19:00 08 Apr 07

bapiow
your ring of death are all the lights lit are any flashing

Totally-braindead 21:01 08 Apr 07

I didn't realise that Play.com was Jersey based and that might make a difference.

bapiow 11:41 09 Apr 07

3 red lights are flashing.
I phoned Microsoft and explained the fault,
they said it will have to be retuned for repair.
If Play.com will not play, excuse the pun, I will have to send the box to Microsoft and will never purchase any more products from play.com, will use John Lewis in future, or shop local
No wonder they trade from Jersey!!

Totally-braindead 14:40 09 Apr 07

Unless someone else on this site comments I would phone trading standards and ask them. I say this as I did not realise they were based in Jersey and therefore am unsure if the law here applies to them.

TOPCAT® 21:48 09 Apr 07

the three flashing red lights problem and found this site click here This is an American site selling a diagnostic tool/repair system, but it also gives a few pointers to what could be causing the problem.

Here's the Googled responses - click here
TC.

TOPCAT® 21:59 09 Apr 07

It's from the MS forums.xbox.com. TC.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac