Plasma Tv as Pc monitor

markkiteley 12:42 09 May 05

I will shortly move to a flat where space will be a premium. I will probably buy a plasma or lcd tv, and wonder about using it as a PC monitor, hopefully saving me a whole lot of space. is anybody able to offer advice on some of the following issues?
1. will there be a performance compromise such as eg max resolution
2. will a HDTV ready screen give me higher resolutions
3. should i be looking for a particular graphics card, or perhaps a particular connection on the TV/graphics card
Thanks for your help.

TomJerry 12:51 09 May 05

Plasma screen has a burn-in problem, i.e. the long period of dispaly of the same image will burn image on the screen.

So, if you use long period, your window desktop will permantly burn to the Plasma screen.

LCD is fine. You can get a nice 32" LCD TV for about £1000.

Nothing is future proof. Only sky provide HDTV in Europe at the moment, so extra cost to get a so-called "HDTV" ready screen is not necessarily a good idea.

amonra 14:02 09 May 05

If you do make the effort to use a Plasme screen as a monitor you will be very disappointed !
The quality of the picture will be c**p and any moving pictures will be eyewatering. As the above writers have said, beware of screen burns, stick to a TFD screen display, easier on the eyes. HDTV is only as good as what the broadcasters transmit, and that is not always what you think. When the broadcasters use the full bandwidth (7Mhz +) then we may notice the difference in quality.

markkiteley 14:11 09 May 05

Thanks for the replies.
What is a TFD screen display?
Is an LCD any better than plasma for screen burn/motion blur?
To be clear, I wont be using a HDTV for TV - I have NTL not sky. I assumed that it would offer higher resolutions for my desktop than a normal screen. Is that incorrect?

TomJerry 14:18 09 May 05

HDTV resolution

720p - 1280x720 pixels progressive

1080i - 1920x1080 pixels interlaced

1080p - 1920x1080 pixels progressive

It will be difficult to find a Plasma screen for those resolution, but LCD will do

Total Care Support 15:16 09 May 05

More and more people are moving their pc's to Media centre now and it is becoming core to the Home, as such screens are developing that are both HD TV ready and have a higher contrast than at present most plasmas now are between 1000:1 and 3000:1 unless you pay a lot more then you can get a 5000:1 however just around the corner are 10,000:1 HDTV ready screens which rumour has it will be bursting on to the market place at the same price point as 3000:1 screens in the next few months. These screens are capable of handling PCs with a lot more ease, however the point regarding screen burn could still be present as the image on a computer is usually more static like your desktop, a Large LCD may well be a better solution.

(apologies in advance for the plug) at present we do a 40" LCD that may suit your needs see click here or a 32" for only £999 see click here these screens are HD TV ready as Sky is not going to be the only company to take advantage of HD TV.

Best regards

Daniel Warren
Granville Technology
[email protected]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…