Plasma Screen longevity

peterleemaxwell 20:33 18 Mar 05

A work colleague and I was discussing Plasma TV screens and he said he had read somewhere that the screen lasts only 5 years. As I knew nothing on the subject I didn't add anything to the conversation. Has anybody more knowledge on the subject?

JonnyTub 21:03 18 Mar 05

this should answer your question click here , i must admit i heard the same thing as your friend

JonnyTub 21:04 18 Mar 05

From the consumer's perspective, though, the 30,000-hour figure should be comforting, since this is about how long CRTs last. Let's put all this in perspective: Assuming the average American household watches 4 to 6 hours of television per day, a plasma display will last between 13 and 20 years. If you think about it, that's quite a bit of bang for your buck.

peterleemaxwell 22:23 18 Mar 05

Thanks JonnyTub,
Excellent reading

sunny staines 09:20 20 Mar 05

click here

read the above link. also other reports on hdtv etc on same site

Mike D 09:52 20 Mar 05

Sort of on the same tack, I recently heard a complaint on a consumer affairs radio programme about an LCD tv. The caller had bought one a few months earlier (£2500) and had taken out an extended warranty. The "bulb" (backlight?) had gone and the caller was told that the warranty did not cover any items such as bulbs (fair enough in a fridge, I suppose) and that the cost of a replacement would be £350 + fitting. This was not just the response from the retailer, but also the manufacturer. Also because it was a "bulb", the rule about a fault within the first 6 months being deemed to have been present from manufacture seems not to apply. It was enough to peruade me to stick with my CRT for the moment.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…