Pipex going Downhill?

Taff™ 12:04 07 Mar 08

Having been with Pipex since dial up days, back in the last century, and been more than satisfied with their service, I have to admit that things are changing.

Since Tiscali acquired them I believe they closed down the Pipex Customer Service and now provide 0871 numbers at 10p per minute for tech support. For the first time in ages I needed some and 7 different calls on the same problem realised a bill for over £20 last month.

Unresolved, I switched to e-mail and raised the same problem, the first response took two working days which suggested trying a different computer - something I`d told them I`d already tried. My reply was acknowledged automatically but remained unanswered for 4 weeks. A reminder was sent three days ago - still nothing.

I send out e-mail newsletters to a Society`s members as well as Clubs, Schools & Colleges - each distribution can be up to 300 and in previous times I was advised by Pipex to restrict sending to no more than 150 at a time - fair enough! This week the Tiscali servers are rejecting anything over 80 and I learn that I`m now on a spammers blacklist!

Time for a MAC code? Any other Pipex devotees noticed a downturn in service?

john bunyan 15:18 07 Mar 08

Like you, been with them over 12 years. I agree service going down - took me 25 mins to get an answer from tech guys. I wanted more e mail addresses and they wont give them by e mail. I did manage to keep the monthly contract when moving up fron the old Extreme Solo but nearly switched to Zen had they insisted on a one year contract. Download speed varies from 2800 to 6800 Mbps.If it worsens will switch.

Chaz10 16:39 07 Mar 08

Pipex number

Save a fortune on phone calls.

Taff™ 16:55 07 Mar 08

Correct! Unfortunately I was so stupid to hold on for a response - on average 20 minutes for each of the calls. I believed that being on Pipex Homecall would not be charged - WRONG!

I`ve been advised to write to Customer Complaints to reclaim the costs!

john bunyan 17:31 07 Mar 08

Chaz10. Thanks - I can now use "Free" Vonage to call them!

spuds 18:10 07 Mar 08

A neighbour had a problem with Tiscali (Pipex?) support, which resulted in many 0870 telephone calls. Checking their monthly bill, the calls came to nearly £30.00. Tiscali reimbursed them with a £30.00 credit to their account. Perhaps worth making a refund request!.

At present, I am having a problem with disconnections on both broadband and telephone. Tiscali were extremely helpful, but now becoming an annoyance.

katkins 04:07 08 Mar 08

Up until 12 months ago, I was with Bulldog (Cable & Wireless) who then sold the Bulldog brand to Pipex.

I had online disconnection problems with Bulldog too many times even after transfer to Pipex that I decided to change my ISP. I'm now with BTYahoo and am more than satisfied with the very reliable Ethernet connection.

katkins 04:32 08 Mar 08

Before Bulldog, I was with Tiscali on dial-up for about 15 months. I had the same problem of online cut-offs which grew very annoying. Trying to get back online was also a problem at times. I went from Tiscali to Onetel to Bulldog who were both slightly better, but still prone to online cut-offs too even though the latter package was a Broadband one.

I remember having to request Tiscali about three times to cancel my DD before they finally did so. Upon the second request, I believed they had and in the meantime switched to Ontel for a time, again on dial-up, only to discover Tiscali had NOT honoured my e-mail requests to cancel my DD so for a short time was paying two ISPs, but only using one of them - Onetel. Tiscali refused to refund me the period in question because I was still connected, apparently.

I eventually switched to Bulldog (Pipex) and then finally to BTYahoo whom I'm with at present.

katkins 04:46 08 Mar 08

I remember too that Tiscali also informed me I should have uninstalled their ISP connection after receiving their acknowledgement e-mails in response to my cancellation requests, yet they NEVER stated this in their response e-mails to begin with.

GroupFC 10:01 08 Mar 08

Short answer - Yes!!

anchor 13:29 08 Mar 08

Fortunately I have had no need to contact either tech: support or customer services.

As regards my connection, I have no complaints; good speeds and absolutely reliable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…