Pinnacle Systems support not very good or is it me

Sheila-214876 12:59 28 Feb 04

Just bought some Pinnacle hardware and software. I registered the product and received an email giving me a User ID ******* and a Password *****.
When I tried to use the product I encountered a couple of problems so I thought "No worries" I will email their support desk. When I type my User ID and Password as per the email I get: "You have entered an invalid User name or Password." I re-checked the email I have from them and everything is correct. The phone number they give is (obviously) a premium rate number but it is only available from Mon to Fri. How does one get in touch with Pinnacle Systems?

MichelleC 13:30 28 Feb 04

If you've got any previous Pinnacle files on pc this may interfer with installation. And yes, their support is no good.

Sheila-214876 13:52 28 Feb 04

Thanks MichelleC. No, this is the first Pinnacle hardware and software I have bought. It is for transferring analogue video tapes to DVD. You seem to be the Guru for this sort of work so you may be able to help without Pinnacle support. Everything is working fine except the Tutorial which when I try to run it I get "This programme has performed an illegal operation and will shut down". And the other problem is the sound seems to be out of sync. It is about 2 seconds in front of the lip movement?

MichelleC 18:04 28 Feb 04

Oh cheers, but I'm one of many dv'ers. You may have to d/load the actual help files from Pinnacle. If not you could reinstall prog which does clear up some conflicts (I can't help with the non-recognition of password). Is it S8? What hardware are you using for analogue transfer - Dazzle or Pinnacle? Out of sync usually occurs with analogue to dv conversion. It's due to the difference if audio and video conversion isn't sync'd precisely and can be overcome by seperating the files to different locations BEFORE converting to dv and then bringing together (as TMPGEnc stipulates click here). It can be eleviated by ensuring the usual criteria is followed:
DMA enabled on all drives
Paging increased to same min and max to 2-3 times ram total (or swap file created)
All non-vital b/ground progs off
Main prog on system hd, with capturing, editing on 2nd hd (it's this that seems to be the main out of sync problem - if it's to same hd).
Good luck.

Sheila-214876 11:07 29 Feb 04

Thanks again MichelleC. I am using Studio ver 8.8 with Dazzle Fusion. I thought that was easier than installing a capture card. On installing I got a pop-up inviting me download upgrade to ver 8.10 which I did and there was also a file called "regfix" which I installed. The transfer quality is good and I burnt a vcd just to check playback (I don't have a DVD burner yet) It seems Dazzle does it all for you, I didn't have to do any converting? The only thing that annoys me is the email from Pinnacle with a user id and password that doesn't seem to work. Maybe it's a ploy to get me to use their premium rate phone number? I have only used it once so far, the more I use it the better I'll become.

lixdexik 21:08 29 Feb 04

you will have to register to use it but if you are using studio 8 you will find no shortage of other hacked off users of this product that might be able to help. Mind you it is a help forum so you will only get people with problems posting to it.

click here#

Hope this helps

Cheers Lixdexik

Bapou 22:44 29 Feb 04

I have the same problem, as yet unresolved. Pinnacle 8.0 came with Pioneer DVD Drive, installed, registered, updated to 8.10, received e-mail with password. I've tried every which way since then but my entered password comes back as an error.

Sorry this doesn't help you but shows something is amiss with Pinnacle's support.

Sheila-214876 13:56 02 Mar 04

Just managed to get through to Pinnacle helpdesk by fone, (25p per minute). Was told to download the update version 8.12.4 which would solve the sound sync problem. Been everywhere on their site but cannot find any way to download any updates. Did find the Forum which only offered version 8.12.2 as a BETA version. I downloaded it anyway but the sound sync is still about 3 seconds ahead of the lip movement. Anyone familier with the Pinnacle site can point me in the right direction please?

MichelleC 14:42 02 Mar 04

Here's a free dv editor click here . I use Sony's Movie Studio click here where the support and forums are great.

Sheila-214876 15:03 03 Mar 04

lixdexik. Because my emailed user ID and Password are always "invalid" I can't get into the Forums. So no help there.

MichelleC. Downloaded the free dv editor and, although it did the capture OK there was no sound at all. (that solves the sync problem, then.) I am still messing about with settings for it to see if I can get some sound. Will check out the Sony Movie Studio. Thanks.

Sheila-214876 17:18 04 Mar 04

I am getting very disenchanted with this analogue to DVD capture business. Using Studio 8 ver 8.12 as recommended by the support desk to overcome the sound sync problem. When capturing, I have 3 alternatives: Good, Better and Best. Good is no good at all. I have 10gb free space on my hard disk which (on the Better setting) gives me 7 hours recording. If I try the Best setting I only have 30 minutes recording time on a 10gb hard drive, but when I try that I get "Sorry, cannot capture. The data rate on drive d: is less than the required rate of 5828Kbytes/second." So that only leaves Better which gives good video and the sound is in sync whilst capturing in the small (about 3 x 2 inches) preveiw window. If I playback in full screen mode on a 14 inch monitor the sound sync is about a second ahead. If I play back on a 26 inch TV the sound sync is about 2 seconds ahead. So on my Casio "walkman type" TV the playback is good. But on a real TV it is useless, unless of course, you don't watch the lips while they are talking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…