Pinnacle / Hauppague TV FM cards

techhelp 09:50 30 Aug 03

I have a 2800 Mhz Intel system and would like a reliable means to watch TV or listen to FM radio whilst working. Pinnacle and Hauppague are the from runners it seems. Any suggestions of an internal (PCI) card model from either party please would be appreciated. Many thanks.

steve0 10:06 30 Aug 03

Have had a Hauppague internal TV card for nearly 5 years - Has been incredibly reliable in 3 different machines, and gone through windows 95, 98 and now xp. I live in a strong signal area, so get a superb picture using an internal tv aerial and booster (makes ch5 better)

Using windows media player it will record tv direct to the hard disk - and then can use Nero to make VCD or SVCD disks to watch on DVD player in living room.

The best bit of computer kit I have ever bought!

Wilham 10:51 30 Aug 03

Reviews of TV pci cards sometimes refer to the limitations on their output imposed by PC monitors. A PCA review of a 20inch tft monitor this year said it was the first to offer 1st class tv viewing via PC.
You seem in a good position to comment on this.

steve0 11:20 30 Aug 03

I have a 19" Iiyama pro monitor. The picture I get on this is at least as good as my 28" TV. If I do a direct comparison looking at same program on tv and computer screen they are pretty much identical. My 28" tv is new, but when comparing with a 10 year old Philips (21")the computer is much better - colour etc.

I've notused tft monitor with the card, but I would imagine that some have a slow update speed for fast moving images - same as when you want to play games on them - can look blurred. Newer tft monitors are said to be much better.

Wilham 11:30 30 Aug 03

Thanks for the clear and helpful reply. I'm partly deaf and a tv card could be useful. I wonder if it's possible to buy a tv/pci card that covers terrestrial digital channels?

steve0 17:40 30 Aug 03

Yes - Hauppague do one that recieves all the uk digital channels. Its a bit more expensive than the ordinary one, but it does do digital. Its worth taking a look at the Hauppague site. They do a model called the WinTV Nova-t (PCI).

Wilham 21:01 30 Aug 03

It's taken some time but you are right,..the win tv nova-t. Not on the Hauppage home page,- which seems to be run by Amazon. Listed in Dabs at £67-09 though out of stock. I'll look for reviews.
Thanks,... I wouldn't have found it without your help.
Other other TV add-ons were either not XP, or only for tv sets (not PC's), or cable (not aerial in).

techhelp 09:52 31 Aug 03

Thanks for your suggestions:-
Life is never simple is it. Is there any difference between an analogue and digital card; are any extra bits required other than the card and aerial connection with a digital card; can I get all (5) analogue channels with a digital card and are there more digital channels viewable. Hauppague does the WIN/TV - 350 PCI and PRIMIO FM and now NOVA-T. I presume the first 2 are analogue (which would suggest) and the latter digital. Thanks.

techhelp 09:55 31 Aug 03

Sorry, which analogue card would you suggest and would also suggest the NOVA for TV / FM and video capture. Thanks.

steve0 10:06 31 Aug 03

You are right about the first two being analogue - ie they only receive the terresial channels plus you can have a line in from video dvd or camera etc.

The Nova T card picks up the digitaltv stations, just like having one of those boxes you can buy for your tv. As far as connectors are required, just a good quality high gain aerial is needed. I think you have to have a slightly better aerial for digitaltv than for ordinary, but it depends on the area you live in. You can confirm availability at click here think an external aerial would be fine. It might be worth checking that you can actually get digital in your area - some parts of the country cannot.

As for channels, you get all the normal ones, BBC 1 etc plus the extra digital ones:
BBC FOUR

ITN News Channel**

BBC NEWS 24

S4C (in Wales)

BBC PARLIAMENT*

S4C 2 (in Wales)

CBBC

CBeebies
TV Travel Shop
QVC

Cheers

jakedawe 10:59 31 Aug 03

I would suggest the Hauppauge DEC 2000 Terrestrial, this is a set-top box i.e not an internal card but it allows connection to TV as well as PC. Delivers excellent picture via USB connection with SCART connection for TV. Price about £100.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…