Pimp my (prospective) new PC specs

chxsom 19:51 13 Oct 08

Hello all - newbie in search of sage advice on the following PC.

BACKGROUND:

I'm in the market for a new desktop, and have been offered a base unit with the following specs. It was built by a housemate within the last 2 months - he is selling it due to losing his job and imminent departure from the country i.e. I have no reason to doubt his integrity.

SPECS:

AMD Athlon X2 Dual core 5000+ 2.60Ghz
Asus Barbone Case with HDMI Out
2GB DDR 800Mgz RAM
500GB HDD
Onboard Geforce 8200 GPU
Front Panel Memory Card Reader
DVD ReWriter
6 USB Ports(2 Front, 4 Rear)
2 i1394 Firewire Ports(1 Front, 1 Rear)

(I've seen that it has an ethernet card of some sort - possibly built in with the Asus case/motherboard? - even though it's not listed here by him)

He's also throwing in an Microsoft Cordless (IR, not bluetooth sadly...) Keyboard/Mouse

COST:

He brought the parts for for £230ish, delivered late August. He's offering it for £160

QUESTION:

Is this a good deal? I'm not a gamer by any means but do stream a lot of video, and often work from home so need it to be relatively sound and sharp.

Thanks in advance.

Joe R 21:38 13 Oct 08

chxsom,

is there an operating system included?

chxsom 22:17 13 Oct 08

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I believe he has Vista Home Premium, which would come with it. The only thing I'd need is a VDU of some description, & I have an LCD TV which could do the job I'm sure..

Be interested to know what the component parts are rated like as kit.

Joe R 22:22 13 Oct 08

chxsom,

if it is only a couple of months old, you will struggle to get better. Possibly another bonus being, the fact you know the system runs fine.

Depending on the size of the tv, you may be all right, but it may only show a 1024x768 resolution.

In most cases, a monitor will show a better picture than a tv can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…