Photo Editing Software Recommendation

William-336251 17:30 10 Nov 04

Hi. I have just bought my first digital camera and want to play with some editing software. As this is only a first go I thought I'd use some free software initially. From magazines CDs I have
Photo Editor Plus
Ulead PhotoImpact 6.0
Serif PagePlus 6.0
Microsoft Picture It Photo 7

Are any of these any good? I have also seen some free software obtainable from the net but have read things about these being riddled with spyware, adware and popups etc. Any recommendations there?

Forum Editor 17:37 10 Nov 04

(for what that's worth) are, in order of preference:-

1. Photoshop

2. Ulead PhotImpact

I think that Photoshop is undoubtedly the best image manipulation software on the market, but it's not cheap, and if value for money was the criterion I would go for PhotoImpact every time, but version 10, not version 6.0 .

It's a personal thing - others may disagree.

wjrt 18:00 10 Nov 04
  spuds 18:07 10 Nov 04

If you have easy access to a PC World store, then perhaps a visit there maybe worthwhile. My local PCW have been selling a range of Ulead products for £2.99 per boxed cd.Not bad considering some of the boxes are marked £19.99.One particular unit is the Ulead DVD Picture Show Imaging Suite with bonus Photo Explorer 7.0 Pro and CD Label Maker included.

Perhaps these are worth a look and possible free download click here click here click here

spuds 11:24 11 Nov 04

Some help/advice information click here

anchor 11:53 11 Nov 04

Photoshop is without doubt the choice of the professionals, but it is not the easiest to use; (also very, very expensive!!).

I do a lot of work with digital photos, and my own personal favourite is Paint Shop Pro, now out in version 9. If you need a good free one, then Irfanview, as mentioned by wjrt above, will suffice.

TomJerry 17:12 11 Nov 04

Photoshop is the industry standard, but difficult
to use.

The cut down version Photoshop element is very very good, cost only a fratcion of Photoshop and do most things phtoshop do.

PhotoShop Elements 3 £51.77 click here

Photoshop Elements 3 PLUS Premiere Elements Bundle £74.74 click here

You can get a Free Photoshop clone, gimp click here

For easy to use and value for money, ACDSEE 7 is the best click here

TomJerry 17:17 11 Nov 04

fully work trial version Acdsee 7.0 click here

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 Tryout click here

Ulead PhotoImpact click here

Paint Shop™ Pro® 9 fully work trial click here

oresome 18:59 11 Nov 04

Anybody else find it annoying that magazines invariably use Photoshop when demonstrating techniques? It may be the industry standard and an excellent program, but how many amatuers who want to tweak a few photos wish to spend several hundred pounds?

On the positive side, there are plenty of tutorials available to enable you to get the best out of the program.

Bebee 19:37 11 Nov 04

Serif PhotoPlus is worth a try. Free version of 5.5 available here (full prog/older version) click here
I use version 9 and Photoshop Elements 2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…