Photo Colour Printers

Mary-Ann 14:37 06 Apr 03

I've whittled my search for a colour photo printer down to two:

The Epson Stylus Photo 950 and the Hewlett Packard Photosmart 7550,

but I can't decide which one to buy.

Weighing up the pros and cons of each printer hasn't helped me reach a decisison.

Can anyone give me any advice?

jon2 15:18 06 Apr 03

I have had a Eopson 600 stylus for some years now and allthough a bit dated it still gives a very good photo and is very cheap to run as the ink tank is seperate from the print heads and can be refilled a lot of times, and this is where the cost is in inkjets, think hard about the price of your ink cartridge before making up your mind.

shifty 15:20 06 Apr 03

Having seen sample prints from both I couldn't say which one, but one thing I would do is take a look at the price of ink cartridges, this could tip the balance.

acemark 00:00 07 Apr 03

Hi Mary-Ann, I've an epson and rate it pretty highly. depends what you want to do with it tho' I had a HP and a Lexmark but the best of the three is the Epson without a doubt (in my opinion) for photo's particularly. As Shifty says check out the prices of cartridges as they can vary quite a bit.

Andsome 08:48 07 Apr 03

Do you really need the extra facilities that the 950 will offer? Will you make full use of them? I recently bought an Epson Photo 830, and it gives superb results. I have not yet found any need to use the very best resolution for photo's. Ths machine will give you change out of £100

tbh72 09:12 07 Apr 03

Do you have broadband, if so.... Get a laser printer & use online processors. It really would work out cheaper & photo's have a professional finish.

mart1 10:22 07 Apr 03

I went for a HP959C when other, more complex variants were available, Why? The printing heads supplied to the lower, cheaper models are (within the price region),the same. I dont need to use all that other fancy stuff, my programs give me all the things I need for top quality printing. Yes, do concider the after market cost. As the ink cartridge markets are now starting to out sell the music industries!!!! Its one to be carefull of. Lastly, for anyone reading this remember, the inks that we use on our home systems are not going to last as photo process chemicals colours do. Take one look at that nice 8X10 you've hung on the wall six months ago and you see this. So all ways get those expceptional prints of yours professionally processed.

s-256399 13:03 07 Apr 03

i have epson stylus photo 915 and the A4 prints i get from my digital camera are excellent i think this printer is great i am now about to buy epson scanner as i am so happy with the printer.

PIXARUS 11:11 08 Apr 03

I'm surprised that so few people consider the light fast properties of ink jet printers. My first HP printer was fine, good prints, reliable and reasonably economical but the prints faded so quick that I soon went in search of another.
Epson produce a range that promises 25yrs light fast prints "using their inks and paper". My tests with Epson 870 tend to confirm this claim but costs are high. Expensive cartridges(you replace three colours when only one runs out) with a short life and expensive paper. Reliability is excellent.
I am now trying the Canon i550 which also promises 25yrs lightfast properties but with separate cartridges for each colour should work out less expensive to run.I'm very pleased the quality of this one also.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5