Philips Consumer Care problem

Drax. 21:17 28 May 07

I bought a Philips 17' lcd monitor from More computers 4 months ago . My monitor screen started with a physical fault , so I contacted Philips direct and they said they would replace my monitor. When I received my replacement monitor I noticed it was a well used refurbished monitor with scratches on the screen. I complained to Philips and they agreed to send me another monitor, same again they have just sent out another 2nd hand monitor with scratches over it and a poor picture . I even asked for my old monitor to be fixed but they said they would'nt be able to find it now. Are Philips allowed to do this ?

Forum Editor 23:16 28 May 07

In fact it's common practice.

Your mistake was in going direct to Phillips, because they have no obligation to you under the terms of current consumer law. Your contract was with the retailer from whom you bought the monitor, and as the fault developed within six months of purchase the law would have assumed it to be there on the date of purchase - you would have been entitled to a replacement.

Because you don't now have the original monitor you can't go back to the retailer, and the best you can hope for is that Phillips will take pity on you and supply you with a new model. Have you fully explained the position to them?

laurie53 07:01 29 May 07

Thanks for that FE.

I thought I was fairly well up to speed on consumer law, but this was totally new to me.

Drax. 08:31 29 May 07

Hi
My contract is with More Computers but they state on their web site I should contact the manufacturers directly if I have a faulty product.
I will phone More Computers today and see if they can do anything.

Drax. 19:53 29 May 07

Hi FE
Philips did take pity on me because I recieved a new monitor today from city link.
Thanks for the advice I'll no what to do next time.

Forum Editor 00:15 30 May 07

Thanks for the update.

For the future, bear in mind that you do not have to deal with the manufacturer unless you want to. Liability for faults with any item you order online lies with the retailer, and in the first instance that's who you should contact.

In fairness, lots of retailers will refer you to the manufacturer over monitor faults. They do this, not to escape their liability, but to speed the process of resolution for you. Retailers don't have monitor repair facilities, and you can often get a faster service by going direct - just remember that you don't have to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac