Personal bank information disclosed to 3rd party

astral traveller 12:50 01 Feb 03

Not a computer question but hopefully someone here can help.
My son was horrified to be told by his ex girlfriend how much money he had in his bank account (well known high street bank - won't name here). He is still on good terms with his ex - thankfully. His ex was told by her friend who works at the bank. She was also told how much he withdraws and when!
His first reaction was to storm into the bank and ask to see the manager.
Any advice on what he should do?

jazzypop 13:02 01 Feb 03

Follow his first reaction.

Forum Editor 13:04 01 Feb 03

1. Do nothing, and suggest that his ex-girlfriend warns her friend that he/she has placed his/her job in jeopardy by disclosing details of a customer's account.

2. Report the matter to the bank. This would almost certainly have dire consequences for the person concerned, but frankly he/she has asked for trouble. Banks make quite sure that their employees are aware of the need for total discretion where customer accounts are concerned, and this silly person has breached the most serious rule in the banking book.

Belatucadrus 13:05 01 Feb 03

Sounds like you have to weigh the consequences here. I would go into see the manager, but remember the " friend " will at least be disciplined and may well be sacked. Though to my mind they deserve it. The ex may well lose a friend and the current "good terms" with your son will take a battering. But somebody who clearly has no grasp of the terms "confidential" & "Trust" should get a well deserved reality check.

-pops- 13:49 01 Feb 03

I may be important to find out why this was done. ALL bank employees are told the importance of confidentiality and to break that confidence indicates either total stupidity or that there is some ulterior motive behind it. Either way, disciplinary action should be taken.

Brian

Sir Radfordin™ 15:41 01 Feb 03

Its a tough call, anad the choices have been pointed out by others.

Remember, it only needs good men to do nothing for evil to succeed.

If this bank employee is doing it with one person then what is there to say its not being done with others?

This could have serious consequences not only for you but for other bank customers.

blakdog 16:02 01 Feb 03

The employee who passed on the information would be well aware of what they are doing. If they are prepared to break the LAW (because that is what they have done) then, quite frankly, they should be sacked. I wonder how that individual would feel if the boot was on the other foot?

There is also the bank to think about. What else is this individual talking about and who are they talking to? Have they even considered that they may be putting the security and safety of theirselves and their colleagues at risk, after all, people will do some pretty crazy stuff to get their hands on the contents of a bank vault.

In my occupation security and confidentuality is something we take very seriously - there are no excuses!

Peter E 16:04 01 Feb 03

As you are aware it's a very serious matter. The person disclosing the information will probably be fired - and rightly so. Your son should not worry about that - such a person should not be in a position of trust.

Nowadays we tend to "suffer fools gladly" and, oh, what damage they can do!

simon1003 16:55 01 Feb 03

This falls under the Data Protection Act, I'm not sure but the Bank is probably breaking the law.
Take legal advice and sue 'em!

spuds 17:28 01 Feb 03

Your son as various choices, and only he can make them.But I would suggest that he considers one of the following, depending on how he feels.[1] Inform the bank manager. This will most definately instigate an internal investigation from area office.The final outcome of that investigation will result in possible dismissal or severe reprimand.[2]Speak to the 'ex'and request that she arranges a meeting with herself, her friend and your son, so that the problem can be sorted in a 'polite' manner.With the proviso that if there are a possibility of re-accurance, the bank will be informed immediately and without favour.[3]Forget the whole incident??.

If I knew or suspected that my banking details were being discussed outside the bank, and without my early knowledge, then I would be a very annoyed person.

Djohn 17:47 01 Feb 03

My son is in the armed forces, and because he spends many short periods of time abroad, I have full access to/and control to his account and credit card.

Some time back my wife paid some money into his account and requested some details, she was given these without question.

I telephoned the bank, and explained the situation, stating that on this occasion, it was not too serious as the information was given to my wife and not a complete stranger.

The member of staff received a written warning and my sons account was credited with £100-00.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…