Pentium 4 2.8Ghz or 3.0Ghz ??

CodeMeister 16:36 08 Nov 03

Hi

I'm about to order a Dell Dimension 8300 with 875P chipset, 800Mhz FSB, 1Gb of 400Mhz DDR RAM, 120Gb SATA HD and 128Mb Radeon 9800 (non pro) graphics card.

Could anyone please advise whether I am likely to get much of a performance gain from specifying a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT processor instead of a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT processor ?

200 Mhz in the old days used to make a lot of difference but I don't think it offers such an increase these days.

I think that there is a price difference of about ?50(Ex VAT) between the two processors.

Obviously the 3.0Ghz will run hotter and require more cooling which I guess would make the system noisier.

My main use would be for programming in Visual Studio .Net and database work.

Are Intel likely to release any new processors in the near future ?

I've heard that the Pentium 5 isn't due out until about Q4 or Q5 next year. Will that be 64 bit ?

I would be very greatful for any comments or advice that anyone might have.

Raywood 16:59 08 Nov 03

What do you intend to do with this computer?? DVD's, internet and Office applications probably won't have a significant performance increase.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:14 08 Nov 03

I have just had an attack of deja-vu or am I missing something?......click here. For your appa the processor will make no difference whatsoever unless you have been struck by the uber-geek, gloved hand. get the computer now and start using it.

G

Stuartli 17:44 08 Nov 03

Put the money saved to some good use - Guinness perhaps..:-)

You wouldn't even notice any difference in speeds.

CodeMeister 18:49 08 Nov 03

Thanks chaps

Apologies for the cross-posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…