PCWorld and Samsung ML1510

Harvey Jones 10:12 30 Mar 04

Purchased a Samsung ML1510 from PCWorld on 9th March for a client after doing some research on the web and on the PCWorld website. Client spoke with PCWorld yesterday complaining that the toner cartridge was already empty, only to be informed that "the cartridges supplied with the new printers are cut-down versions and everyone knows that, it's common sense". Obviously my client is not very happy and neither am I! Client managed to get an offer of 25% off a new cartridge, and I managed to increase that to 50% today. But, their website states under the key features of the ML1510 "Black Toner: ML-1710D3" which is the cartridge available for purchase which has a capacity of 5%. I was also told that even though PCWorld had not informed me that it was a cut-down cartridge, I was partially to blame as I did not ask if it were a cut-down version.

My belief is that it was advertised with an ML-1710D3 and therefore I expected to receive the same. The store manager has offered a 50% discount off a new cartridge and said that I would not have any chance if I took it to Trading Standards.

What do you people think? I was contemplating going to the Advertising Standards Agency.

Any advice greatfully received.

Harvey

Harvey Jones 10:16 30 Mar 04

Sorry, "capacity of 5%" should be "capacity of 2500 pages at 5% coverage".

Belatucadrus 10:52 30 Mar 04

The supply of new printers with low capacity ink/toner cartridges is fairly general practise now, and the Samsung UK website does show the ml1510 as being supplied with a 1000 sheet capacity starter cartridge click here .So unless somebody at PCWorld told you there was a full capacity cartridge, or you can prove conclusively that any advertising stated specifically that a full capacity cartridge was supplied, neither Advertising or Trading standards can or will do anything. PCWorld have made a generous offer in the 50% discount, I think you should accept it and put the whole thing down to experience.

Sir Radfordin 10:59 30 Mar 04

This is indeed common practice, though I think HP have said they will sell printers with full capacity cartridges now.

The Samsung 1210s that I bought did come with full capacity toner cartridges so am surprised to see the 1510 hasn't. However unless PCW told you it came with a full toner then I don't believe you have a claim with them, trading standards or the ASA.

Can you prove the number of pages and at what % coverage your client has printed? They could have spent the last 2 weeks printing black sheets of paper for all PCW know ;)

Harvey Jones 11:17 30 Mar 04

Thanks for the replies. I will advise him to accept the 50% offer and put it down to experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017