PCA and PC World

Spark6 21:39 31 Jul 04

The September issue of PCA carries a full page PC World advert for a Samsung 60 Gb hard drive for the reduced price of £38.66 on production of the PCA advert.

Needing a new HDD, and knowing it is impossible to telephone individual stores, I drove 20 miles to the nearest store, selected the 'brown boxed' 60 gig drive but when I went to the checkout I was informed that the store did not have the advertised unit.

Apparently, the units they had were later models but the strange thing was that the unit I had selected was the same price, £55.23, exactly the original price in the advert.

I decided to pay the increased price, not wanting to repeat the journey again and needing the HDD, and complain later.

Any suggestions as to who to complain to, PCA, PC World or advertising standards etc., appreciated.

Incidentally, the unit is exactly as advertised!!!

TomJerry 23:14 31 Jul 04

Buy one on-line: 120 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 7200rpm ATA133 2MB Cache £48.75 click here

£48.49 click here

If you really like Samsung Spinpoint P80 120Gb 2mb Cache 7200RPM HDD £53.93 click here

Spark6 23:22 31 Jul 04

TomJerry

Compare your prices, on the net, with what I wanted in-store. Enough said?

spuds 23:45 31 Jul 04
  spuds 23:50 31 Jul 04

Should have added PCW component centre latest hard drive offers click here

Spark6 13:16 01 Aug 04

spuds

Thanks for the information, very helpful. The Samsung P80 (sic) SP0612N 60Gb appears to be the same as the one I purchased. Mine is identified as an SP0612N.

I have re-checked the PCA advert, the offer ends 30/09/04 subject to availability. When you consider that the ad is in the latest issue of PCA you would think that it would be available.

To make my argument even stronger the ad contains the item's Product Code: 869524 which matches the unit I bought.

I intend to take this further and advise you of the outcome.

anchor 13:30 01 Aug 04

Unfortunately this is typical of some traders. Advertise a special price, and then say that particular item is "sold out".

They then offer what seems to be an "almost identical" item at a higher price. Check the Samsung model numbers, if you can, to see if they speak with "forked tongue".

As stated above, you would have got better value shopping on line.

anchor 14:19 01 Aug 04

I see that you already have that information, so in you place I would contact the Advertising Standards Authority:

click here

You could also see what you local Trading Standards have to say.

Stuartli 14:41 01 Aug 04

The point that TomJerry makes is quite valid - by paying just a little bit more you get far more.

HDDs are so cheap these days that even spending an extra £5 or so can land another 20GB.

The Samsung Spinpoint HDDs come with a 2 or 8MB cache and this is where the confusion may have arisen; basic specifications are the same and just the model number varies slightly according to cache level.

Stuartli 14:46 01 Aug 04

The latest issue of PCA is prepared some time in advance and therefore "subject to availability" is a perfectly logical condition for PC World to add.

anchor 16:17 01 Aug 04

Stuartli:

He has not got more by paying more. It appears that the 2 units are the same.

The comment, "subject to availability" surely does not apply when, as Spark6 stated, "the ad contains the item's Product Code: 869524 which matches the unit I bought".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…