PCA mobile phone poll: Your website needs you

PC Advisor. 15:07 19 Nov 03

Hi folks,

Is a BOG standard voice/text mobile phone all we need?

Any comments gratefully received.

Jester2K II 15:16 19 Nov 03

Yup. If i wanted poor video and rubbish photos then i'd stand on the other side of the sreet and look at the TVs in Dixons window whilst using my old 0.1 MP digi camera for photos....

Phone calls and text - oh and small and light too....

plsndrs3 15:54 19 Nov 03

But an alarm clock, phone book & scheduler are handy too!

The cameras are poor, as J2K said, and the games are little more than a throwback to the 80's on a teeny tiny screen [unless my eyes are giving up in my old age ;o)]

Although I have just upgraded to the Nokia 7210i it was only because it had an FM radio built in - I can't imagine what else I need in a phone.

Regards,

Paul

-Beb- 16:08 19 Nov 03

The most improtant thing for me is a phone that is small, stylish and has a good keypad coz i mainly use my phone for texting

Sir Radfordin 16:18 19 Nov 03

Lets get the basics right first. Two many places with poor signal even in 'urban' areas. The things still cost a fortune to use as a viable alternative to the home phone.

And I'm yet to have a phone that doesn't go wrong :( Nokia 8210s had endless problems, Samsung A800 has been playing up and I know other people who have had things far worse.

It seems to be a case of technology for technologys sake and without a firm foundation to build on we'll just continue to be frustrated.

Djohn 16:41 19 Nov 03

Yes, I agree with Sir Rad. small/light and good voice/text capability is what most people require in a mobile phone. Forget the games and camera functions and concentrate on what a phone should be.

Also the cost of cross-network calls should be lowered and standardised. If and when this happens, I can see almost everyone having there own phone and permanent number and the land-line being used less and less. j.

Jester2K II 16:43 19 Nov 03

I'll add I have a 8310 (personal) and a 3310 (work).

I don't touch any of the games after day one of ownership, the radio in the 8310 has been used once, whilst the 8310 has an IR port and i can backup my address book to PC etc i don't miss that function not being on the 3310.

I have to totally agree with Sir Radfordins last comment.

At the end of the day I was small, easy to use, light phone with text and telephone. A function to connect to PC is a Bonus and not a necessity.

Don't need a camera, video, espresso machine or GPS Sat Nav in my phone...

recap 17:47 19 Nov 03

Phone and Texting is enough, no need for an all singing, dancing phone. Never used the games on mine (don't even use them on a computer now). Internet connection is far to slow and costly.

nkosi 17:57 19 Nov 03

I use WAP as much as voice and text. I'm out and about on the railways all day and I have a light, small 8310 which I hardly even know is there. I use the radio fairly often. With WAP I can read my e-mails, news, weather, sports results and get scheduled train times and more realistically - real time running info! I've looked at upgrading but there is nothing else I need and no other phone which does it better. I find WAP pretty reliable now after a shaky start and it is probably an underused resource.

lixdexik 18:02 19 Nov 03

And talk to the person. Text is no good to me either, like Jester2K said, If i wanted poor video and rubbish photos then i'd stand on the other side of the sreet and look at the TVs in Dixons window.

A phone is for talking to people with, and for people to talk to me, the rest is all about over priced gimmicks.

Cheers Lixdexik.

lixdexik 18:06 19 Nov 03

I too Agree totaly with Sir Radfordin..get the basics right first before they start with the toys.

Lixdexik.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…