PCA issue 100 - Format

Silverbeard 05:41 16 Oct 03

PCA issue 100 - Format
Hello

I've now had time to take a good look at the new format. I think I like it but not sure yet. It is my last one on my present subscription, and I am still wondering whether to renew or not.

What I hate is excessive use of "box outs", particularly when they have coloured text on a coloured background with reduced contrast. In this issue orange text on an orange background with contrast near zero is crazy. I thought the text had been omitted until I used a very strong light - then I could just see there was text present but still couldn't read it!

I am a great grand father, and been drawing my pension for some years now. I do have to use reading glasses, but my sight is not all that bad.

I like PCA and have subscribed for some time, but I think I shall delay renewing subscription until they bring the designers under control.

Rant over!! Hope I haven't put anyone off!

Robert

Reposted as a new thread as requested by PCA ED

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:27 16 Oct 03

I always prefer content over style. I like the new format, it is more modern and clear. The old style was a bit errrrrrm...1980's ;-))). However a bit of a MEH! to this as the important bits are still as readable as ever. The cover stands out a lot more from the rest of the mags that are usually crammed together and that has got to be a good thing. I have a feeling that the 'modern' style will find few friends in the older generation but for me it is 100% better.

over and out.

G

TOPCAT® 15:10 16 Oct 03

PCA's new format gets the thumbs up from me. The transformation is truly remarkable, the content very readable and well worth all the effort it took to make the changes. I'm feel sure it will be a winner in the PC magazine market.

I have to agree, however, with Silverbeard's comment when he states ""orange text on an orange background with contrast near zero is crazy". Having a colour perception problem, I too found it difficult to see and read. Put right, it will certainly benefit yours truly and, more importantly, others with similar colour recognition problems. There are many of us about you know! :o) TC.

recap 16:02 16 Oct 03

I must mirror the comment from Silverbeard & TOPCAT® about the colours, I have just had to start wearing glasses and I found it difficult to read some of the text. Content is as good if not better than previous issues. Overall I like the changes as with the site.

GroupFC 16:21 16 Oct 03

Now we've got a new look site to go with it too!

greenlamp 21:09 16 Oct 03

most of the changes don't bother me, however the loss of the coloured tags on the side of the pages that signified the section type (to me at any rate) is a really negative change

Silverbeard 05:48 17 Oct 03

Hello

I'm glad to see I am not the only one who had problems reading the low contrast text on coloured boxouts. This is my main problem with the new style. It's not much use buying a mag if you can't read parts of it!

I agree that the content is as good as ever, probably better.

My remark about the excessive use of boxouts is a purely personal opinion. To me it smacks too much of the 1950's style of children's papers such as "Eagle"! Break everything up into bite sized chunks for easy digestion. Just my own opinion.

The most important thing is to get the colours under control so that the good content is not lost.

I like the new web site!

Robert

rickf 14:24 17 Oct 03

I have no probs with the new format but the lack of contrast as described by the first post is very annoying. Can't read it in bed with a bedside lamp only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…