PCA Cover DVD - too much filler

A Pound of Sausages 13:29 09 Mar 03

Come on PCA, you are wasting the DVD... A documentary about comics?!

Not to mention "Only Fools And Horses" in the past (which everyone has seen anyway) and stuff about war planes and stuff.

I can't see the sense in having this kind of stuff on a computer magazine's disc.

How about useful stuff like software updates, more trialware and shareware? Not Spiderman comics...

oresome 13:37 09 Mar 03

I don't subscribe to the DVD version, but was surprised at the contents when I glanced at it on the news stand. Thoughts were much like yours.....what's this to do with computers?

I'll stick with the CD version.

Forum Editor 15:01 09 Mar 03

just imagine that you have to sit down and find a little under 5 Gigabytes of stuff to fill a DVD. It needs to be copyright-free, legal in terms of content, virus and bug-free, and as interesting as possible. In an ideal world there has to be something for everyone, and all Windows operating systems. You can't just trawl the net downloading all kinds of freeware, because half of it wouldn't work properly and you would be deluged with complaints.

Difficult isn't it?

Now imagine that you have to do the same thing again in four weeks time, and again after that, and so on - twelve times a year.

Most magazine publishers would dearly love to escape from the CD/DVD coverdisk thing, but it's an industry tradition that has existed ever since we used to look forward to that little floppy disk years ago. No magazine dares to break the tradition for fear of losing circulation - lots of people choose their magazines by what's on the coverdisk.

anchor 15:58 09 Mar 03

I agree with the FE, it must be a very daunting task to find material to fill the DVD.

From what I have seen listed as the extra content of the DVD over the CD, I do not consider it worth the extra expense.

The CD can be, and often is, a useful source, and I would hate to see it discontinued; but the DVD, no thanks!.

oresome 16:40 09 Mar 03

FE's confirmed what we already knew. There's too much space to fill, month in month out, with anything relevant to the magazine title.

The publishers will also have known that when they introduced the variant at a substantial price premium so I'm not that sympathetic to their difficulty.

At least purchasers will have a more rounded education than the rest of us and can gain some light relief from the woes of computing.

A Pound of Sausages 18:04 09 Mar 03

"just imagine that you have to sit down and find a little under 5 Gigabytes of stuff to fill a DVD. It needs to be copyright-free, legal in terms of content, virus and bug-free, and as interesting as possible."

PC Essentials manages it every month.

A Pound of Sausages 18:06 09 Mar 03

Well, nearly every month I should say.

Why not scrap the DVD then if it can't be filled? What will we get next? Episodes of "Terry And June"?

Forum Editor 23:42 09 Mar 03

Read my response again, and you'll see why.

Terry and June.........now that's an idea.

crx16 23:50 09 Mar 03

i for one enjoy the video content.

on a similar note is the 'faulty towers' edition avaiable,other than for new subscribers.

New Zealander 00:06 10 Mar 03

Anyway I like Fools & Horses. :-)

A Pound of Sausages 00:19 10 Mar 03

"Why not scrap the DVD then if it can't be filled?
Read my response again, and you'll see why. "

I did.

The circulation will be down by one anyway as I will be cancelling my subscription tomorrow. I thought I was subscribing to a computer magazine, not "The UK Gold Collection".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…