PCA competitions

Muergo 00:34 31 Mar 11

I feel there is something that should be made clearer on this website.

P.C. Advisor "Competitions" link leads to several competitions which appear to be run by IDG, but there are others included which lead onto a site costing £4-50 a week unless you unsubscribe.

It is not made clear until reaching the final entry page that by entering, you are immediately committing to this costly site.
There should be a clear demarcation between the fee to enter competitions and the others.

Matt Egan 14:11 31 Mar 11

Some of our competitions are administered by a third party, but there was never any suggestion that people would have to pay to enter. We categorically don't do that.

Would you mind emailing me with the details (ie: what competition you entered, an email or screengrab showing you being charged)?

Matt Egan 14:54 31 Mar 11

I think there is a world of difference between us making clear the charges entrants are likely to incur in using a mobile phone to enter a competition via SMS, and a website charging someone a fee to enter a competition. Don't you?

Matt Egan 17:21 31 Mar 11

Ah, I see. That's not a competition on PC Advisor though, is it? It's nothing to do with us, in fact, apart from the fact that you've been referred to MyOffers from PCAdvisor.co.uk. The cost is stated very clearly before you enter.

ronalddonald 17:38 31 Mar 11

rule of thumb don't join up or sign up if its not clear

Terry Brown 19:57 31 Mar 11

As the old saying goes- There is no such thing as a free lunch or
Buyer Beware.

Terry

Jameslayer 22:33 31 Mar 11

With a trusted site such as PCA people are more trusting.

Matt Egan 08:41 01 Apr 11

Okay, apologies for any confusion caused by my earlier responses - I was considering this from a pure PC Advisor perspective: and this is categorically not a PC Advisor competition. There is a competition on MyOffers.co.uk that requires you to sign up for a service that costs £4.50 a week until you unsubscribe. It's nothing to do with PC Advisor or IDG, but you can get to it from a page you are directed to from the PCA Competitions page. There's nothing untoward or illegal about the competition (or MyOffers), and the costs are stated up front.

smokingbeagle 17:03 01 Apr 11

Would be good if PCA published the names of the winners in the competition it runs,in reasonable time - say within 3 months after the closing date.

Forum Editor 19:12 01 Apr 11

I'm not involved with the competitions, but as it's a Friday evening I can't check with anyone until Monday, so I'll stick my neck out and guess.

It may be the case that data protection rules prevent us from publishing the names of competition winners unless they give prior consent, and I'm not sure we could make that a condition of entry.

I may be wildly wrong, and I'll check next week.

smokingbeagle 03:54 04 Apr 11

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…