Is PCA Advocating Illegal Internet Broadcasting?

Big L 266 09:02 10 Feb 11

Hello.

I was looking through the downloads section to see what new audio software is available to enhance my own music playback.

I came across Subsonic 4.3 Free Music Streamer and decided to have a look at its possibilities for streaming my computer-based cd collection over my own web radio receiver. This in itself would be ideal so I thought to download it. I soon realised that to download is contrary to advocating possible illegal unlicenced internet streaming radio broadcasting. I have not therefore done the download.

I thought that P.C.Advisor upheld the rules of British laws governing such possible illegal activity. Can you tell me why this apparent illegal activity is offered up in your downloads section when internet radio usually requires a raft of form-filling and proper licencing by official bodies for such broadcasts to take place?

Big L 266

Forum Editor 10:43 10 Feb 11

Of course we're not, any more than a gun dealer advocates killing people, or a car dealer advocates going out and mowing down pedestrians.

The fact that something is capable of being used for an illegal purpose doesn't mean that businesses which sell or provide such things are advocating that you break the law. If that was the case you wouldn't be able to buy a DVD writer, or a camera, or make a video, or any one of a million other items.

It's up to you to act responsibly, and obey the law.

The fact that we offer this useful free software doesn't mean we're advocating anything, and I'm surprised that you felt it necessary to suggest otherwise - you've been with our forum long enough to know better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…