PC World/Tech Guys/Whatever Happens Problems. PT1

JulieUK 15:56 25 Jan 10

I would be so grateful if some kind person would take the time to read my experience and give me some advice of where to 'go' next with my dilemma. I would appreciate any input at all, and I thank you so much in advance. I apologise for the length of the text but I want to give you all the facts.

I purchased a Sony Vaio VGNCS11SW P8400 laptop from PC World Newtownabbey, Belfast on the 3/12/08. I paid £880.82. I have an autistic Daughter who loves to sit in front of the laptop learning, playing games and reading stories. The laptop is a lifeline to both of us. My Grandma left us £1000 in her will in November 08 on the instruction that we use the money to buy a computer, as she knew how much my Daughter thrived being able to look at one.

I also purchased a 'Whatever Happens' PC Performance Pay As You Go cover plan (Reference: 0343952388) Spending such a huge amount of money and knowing how excited my Daughter was, was the reason for purchasing the cover plan. It gave me piece of mind knowing that if anything was to go wrong I would be covered.

42 days after purchase the laptop broke, we were devastated. My Daughter being autistic did not understand why we could no longer use it. We took it to the PC World store in Newtonabbey to be told they could do nothing about it. We were instructed to phone Sony. We contacted Sony, who picked the laptop up from my home and returned it a couple of weeks later.

All was well until the 3/12/09, exactly one year from purchase. Once again the computer broke. I phoned Sony to be told that my one year guarantee had expired. I then contacted 'The Tech Guys' to be told that I was covered. They diagnosed a faulty hard drive over the phone and told me to leave the laptop at the PC World store Newtownabbey, where they would pick it up to repair. Once again my Daughter was devastated and many melt downs followed. By this stage the laptop had become a lifeline. Somewhere where she felt comfortable and happy.

I received the following texts:

3/12/09
Hi, our courier will be in touch soon to confirm collection of your laptop. Typically repairs take 2 weeks to complete. We'll be in touch soon. Thanks

8 days later I received this text:

11/12/09
Hi just to let you know that the parts to repair your laptop are not in stock. We've ordered them and will be in touch within 5 days

12 days later I received this text:

15/12/09
Hi, just a quick update to let you know that one of our technicians is still working on your laptop. We'll update you within 5 days.

16 days later I received this text:

19/12/09
Hi, just a quick update to let you know that one of our technicians is still working on your laptop. We'll update you within 5 days.

20 days later I received this text:

23/12/09

24 days later I received this text:

27/12/09

This was now going into the 4th week, nearly a month without our laptop. The texts stopped and we heard nothing else until we received a phone call on the 05/01/10 telling us that our computer had been fixed and was in the PC World Newtonabbey store ready for collection. This was 4 weeks 5 days since the reported fault. I know a little about computers and know it does not take nearly a month to replace a hard drive.

Continued in another post.....

RobCharles1981 16:19 25 Jan 10

You shouldn't make 3 Different Threads Here it confuses people I've informed the FE to tidy this up.

JulieUK 16:22 25 Jan 10

RobTheOrganGuru......

I was instructed to make separate threads as there is a 'character limit'

I wanted to report all the facts, so my text exceeded the 'character limit'

I apologise if I confused you but I was doing as instructed in the text beneath the message box.

Thank you for your concern.

Forum Editor 16:49 25 Jan 10

I'll lock this thread, so we don't get any
more posts to it.

Anyone who wants to respond can do so in the final part click here after reading this and the second part click here which I will also lock.

In future it's a good idea to post additional thread parts as responses in the initial thread, and to keep things as brief as possible. People can always ask for more detail if they need to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced