PC World Service (or rather, lack of)

pjwheeldon 16:10 31 Aug 04

Anyone any experience of the Pcworld Component service? Ordered some memory on next-day-delivery extra charge, but only the box arrived. PCworld admit its an error, but want me to post the empty box back to them at my expense, then will replace within 10 working days!! No comment on the lousy service, no refund of the extra postage I paid them, and additional expense to me for their cock-up! I'm beginning to think that "good service" nowdays in the UK is confined to Wimbledon!

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:17 31 Aug 04

Remeber they are taking your word that the box was empty, they could have easily said that you were telling porkies. Sending the box back will cost less than a pound...you ought to be thankful that they have accepted your claim so easily.

G

pjwheeldon 16:37 31 Aug 04

Have you just invested heavily in PCWorld? lol.

Forum Editor 16:41 31 Aug 04

They've admitted it, and you'll get what you ordered - albeit after a delay. Send the box back with a note saying you expect to be refunded for the postage - I'm sure they'll oblige.

As GANDALF <|:-)> says - they've only got your word for it that the box was empty, so I wouldn't feel too hard done by.

cga 16:54 31 Aug 04

I think I would also be looking for a refund of the next day delivery charge and some compensation for the inconvinience. After all they may not have got the order if they had not offered a quick service.

On the other hand I can understand why they might want the box back to check on packers details etc

pjwheeldon 17:07 31 Aug 04

I'm with you on this Cga. There is an assumption of "good faith" in all business transactions, and Gandalf/Forum Editor's responses give the impression that I (we) should be grateful that we are believed; the opposite is in fact true. The supplier has failed both to honour the terms of the original contract, but also to deal with a customer complaint in a sensible and contrite fashion. They have not done me a favour by allowing me to purchase their products.

cga 17:25 31 Aug 04

Wooppps

I think thats exagerating what I said just a little.

While I would expect some recompense I would also expect them to want to investigate first.

Someone once told me 'Trust everyone, but always cut the cards'

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:31 31 Aug 04

They are taking your word that the box was empty and are not asking for proof. I think they are MORE than honouring any agreement. They could have easily asked for proof that the box was empty, I would have, as I have a cynical notion that this would be an easy way to get an extra expensive item. They have dealt with you very sensibly and in a gentlemanly fashion, you are over-reacting grossly.

G

pjwheeldon 18:08 31 Aug 04

Obviously don't want to get into a slanging match with you folks, it's a big old world and we all deal with situations in different ways, and have varying expectations and acheivments. Just had to say though that your approach is one on which personal line businesses depend. If all customers were aware of their rights, and had the capability and confidence to pursue them, the service we receive would improve, and poor providors would be quickly and efficiently driven out of business; always a good result.

Forum Editor 19:51 31 Aug 04

whatever the circumstances.

Expectations vary, and contrition isn't something that's high on my list when I consider what I want from a supplier who's made an error. I want the problem solved, and as far as I can see PC World have attempted to do just that. The fact that you don't find their solution acceptable is not something that's up for debate - you have a perfect right to your dissatisfaction.

The big old world being what it is, many suppliers would not necessarily take a customer's assertion that a box was empty on arrival as fact - they would want to ask a few questions. Experience has taught most online suppliers that they may not make an assumption of 'good faith' when dealing with some customers - all people aren't as honest as you.

Let's agree to see this from slightly differing viewpoints - you're absolutely right to expect that your problem will be solved by PC World, you've done nothing wrong after all. Your rather idealistic approach to customer service isn't in line with mine - and I'm known for banging on about it in the forum. If I gave the impression that you should be grateful that your word has been accepted I'm sorry - my command of the language obviously hasn't reached perfection yet. I thought I said 'they've only got your word for it that the box was empty' - which is the absolute truth isn't it?

Dorsai 19:55 31 Aug 04

It is your word against theirs.

I did not open the box. So i neither know nor care about the truth of the situation.

But they just believed you, without any argument at all.

They did the right thing, customer service wise.

They did not open the box either, and so they don't know the truth either.

Perhaps some light figered postal worker had it? Who cares? They will give you what you have paid for.

Now, where i work, when people buy items, i always open the box in front of them, and say, 'just checking it's not broken'. There can be no argument that way, when they bring it back the next day and say 'it's bust'.

But mail order is not as easy.

If it were me, i would just count myself lucky that they did not say "ha ha, you are having a laff, prove it!"

IMHO.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…