PC World MasterCare 5yrs coming to an end

reddwarfcrew 21:38 20 Jul 03

I bought my first PC almost 5 years ago now and was persuaded (foolishly) by the sales person to take out the mastercare 5 year warranty at £265 (20% of the price of the PC!!).

However, I am convinced that I was told at the time, that if I never made a claim, I would receive £100 of PC World vouchers at the end of the 5 years.

Now I've just dug out the receipts and mastercare agreement and there's no mention of this.

Was I dreaming?

reddwarfcrew 21:39 20 Jul 03

actually, tell a lie, it was £265 for the PC cover and £74 for the monitor cover!

Boy was I naive back then.

I also bought my first computer from Dixons (same group) about 5 years ago and there was no mention of a refund in vouchers or anything like that. I have upgraded my computer twice since then and I have not and will not buy any warranty again.

crx1600 21:54 20 Jul 03

i just recieved my balance in full from a 5 year warranty on a 33" TV bought from Comet, £170 as i didn't claim.

i know the 2 companies aren't connected, but its possible PCworld had similar offers at the time, keep looking thru your paperwork!

wee eddie 21:59 20 Jul 03

At the time it was quite common to make an end of term offer. To repay the value of such a policy to the customer in vouchers usable in the purchase of a new PC.

If I remember correctly, the Take-up dates are somewhat critical, so it's probably worth disappearing into, Dixon's, Curries or whatever and asking a leading question.

However you could probably save yourself most of that and still buy a better PC elsewhere.

Say Aldi, Evesham or Mesh.

reddwarfcrew 22:01 20 Jul 03

I'm onto my second evesham since the packard bell from PC World.

My sister now has the PBell.

davidg_richmond 22:22 20 Jul 03

reddwarfcrew, the voucher should be sent automatically at the end of the 5 year period, to whatever address you gave at the point of sale. It does happen, I have dealt with voucher offers. It started just over 5 years ago.

There is no hidden get out clause or anything like that, Head Office should send one automatically. If you don't hear from them within a month of expiry get in touch with Coverplan.

The current offer consists of: if you don't have a claim you get 20% off vouchers that can be used against price of PC and five year cover, or 10% if you have claimed. It may have been different back then.

obbit 22:47 20 Jul 03

so you don't actually get anything back really except vouchers. so in other words when you redeem the vouchers you get the goods you paid for in the first place. or have i got it wrong?

crx1600 23:06 20 Jul 03

just to clear up about the Comet insurance.

you get 100% back in pounds sterling (a cheque).but its upto the customer to claim, within 28 days of the policy expiring,

reddwarfcrew 23:11 20 Jul 03

thanks for the info.

At least I wasn't going mad. Shame there is absolutely no mention of it on any of the invoices/cover agreements that I have

I've found a couple of email address for PCWorld and Mastercare, so I'll see what they have to say. I've got another 8 mths to go, so plenty of time to go through the motions with them.

I have to say I don't actaully hold much hope.

Iceman1978 00:05 21 Jul 03

To the first post I did the exact same thing. Just think of all the SAPS just like us 5 years ago who got the cover. 265 quid and not even a kick in the balls to go with it. Just think of the women we could have bought with the money. Doh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…