PC World laptop insurance

emv54 15:44 10 Dec 09

Does anyone have experience of PC World's PC Performance post-warranty cover? Making claims, quality of repairs, speed, customer service, &c?

Manufacturer's cover on my Inspiron expires shortly and I'm in two minds about taking out their PC Performance policy (£7.99 p/m).

Any guidance greatly appreciated!

birdface 17:07 10 Dec 09

Thats £96 a year and the first year the warranty is free.
If it is only a cheap computer maybe better banking the money towards a new computer.

Diemmess 18:18 10 Dec 09

I agree with buteman about banking the premium and seeing what happens.

In the past with "White Goods" I have often compared the extended warranty costs and felt able to compare the likelihood of a failure.

These days it is more likely to be a price which is comensurate with the total cost of replacement

Tonsie 14:50 11 Dec 09

Yes emv54 I pay monthly to PC Performance in fact it costs me £9.99 pm.Last year I bought a Sony laptop+HP wireless printer,It cost extra for PC World to set them up,but the printer was set to use usb cable,it was going to cost again more for them to change to wireless.When I first used the laptop I noticed an error,they said they would sort out the problem if I took it in under their free health check.But they did'nt I was then told it would after be set to the factory settings and this was another additional charge.An extra charge for their own making.So emv54 this my experience with PC World PC Performance.Not good.
Regards Tonsie.

spuds 15:53 11 Dec 09

Like most things in life, you may never find out until your require help or advice. I had a PCW warranty a few years ago, and part of that warranty was a 'free' annual computer health check. Took the computer in, they had it for three days and I was getting concerned, and on my enquiry they stated that they had tried to contact me for collection. On arrival at the store, they couldn't find my computer, and the technician who had done the necessary work was on leave for 2 days. Eventually I regained the computer, but to this day, I am unsure as to what they did, because they had even lost the test report.But according to the techie, everything was okay and it had passed!.

emv54 16:39 23 Dec 09

Thanks for the input!

I'm going to pass - I definitely don't need the "health check", as I can figure out by myself if my laptop's working OK. I've had poor customer service under Dixons/Currys policies in the past - usually involving being fobbed off and told whatever I was asking about was a manufacturer/software issue - so I'll either find other cover or put some pennies to one side!

Merry Christmas!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple