PC WORLD GIVING ME THE RIGHT HUMP -please help!!!

teamcuba 18:22 19 Apr 07

I purchased a Compaq Presario laptop from PC World in December 2006, it came with XP home and with a free upgrade to Vista Home Premium.

I applied for Vista in the first few days of the new year. It wasn't until the middle of March that I received the discs! I installed vista about 5 weeks ago, which was not as easy as they made out and it also did a clean install, not allowing me to retain my documents (fortunately i saved these to an external hard drive).

Last week, I noticed that there no longer is an on screen display when i use the volume buttons on the laptop, they work, but with no display. The mute button when pressed, now makes a loud clicking sound and does not illuminate.

I took the laptop to Pc World in Exeter, they stated that the bulb must have gone(?) and the repair would be chargeable! I contsted this, the item was just over 3 months old, so they got a manager who said that i would have to arrange for compaq to collect it! Again I contested this, stating that the retailer should do this.

They said they could but not right then. I said that if they were confident I would get thru to someone I would do it myself. they gave me the number for "Tech Guys". I called them this monday, the first guy i spoke to reckoned it was an install problem and we were going through the process of recovery when the line went dead...I called them back and got someone else who then told me (this is the point I'm angry about) "you need your XP disc" I didnt get one with the laptop..."well you can't re install vista as its an upgrade disc, i can put a request for an XP disc but can't guarantee it"... WHAT?

"you might have to pay for it"...

BUT I PURCHASED THIS MACHINE 3 MONTHS AGO, NEW, WITH XP INCLUDED IN THE RETAIL PRICE! "call us back in a few days and we can tell you if the request was authorised". I called them this afternoon (19/04/2007)...

I spoke to "Michael" and told him the story... he says: "the chances are you won't get a disc"

...WHY?

"you failed to make a backup of XP and therefore have damaged the laptop "...

WELL, NO-ONE'S DETERMINED WHERE THE FAULT LIES YET! IT COULD STILL BE A HARDWARE FAULT...

"that's unlikely"...

WELL ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT I PAID £450.00 FOR A MACHINE INC. XP HOME AND THAT I NOW HAVE TO PAY FOR A NEW OS?

"most likely"...

I stated that nowhere in my sales agreement does it state that if i do not backup XP I will be charged if i require the system restored!!!

"Michael" stated: "mastercare ( oh rats not them!) do not have to replace the OS, the warranty is for the hardware"...

I stated, WELL AS A RETAILER, PC WORLD CANNOT EXPECT TO SELL A LAPTOP WITH AN OS AND THEN WHEN A FAULT OCCURS THAT HAS NOT YET BEEN DIAGNOSED, REFUSE TO REMEDY THE FAULT -THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT LESS THAN 6 MONTHS OLD!

"Michael" reckons they can...

so I bring in the recent bit of legislation that states if an item develops a fault in the first 6 months, it can be deemed the item was faulty at purchase?

"Michael" seemed lost ...

I now have a laptop, with vista running ok, but with an obvious problem...Pc World are basically saying my options are:

live with it, or stump up for a new copy of XP Home...

Who actually has the law on their side with this matter? Can someone please advise?

Thanks for your time in reading this, I hope this experience may forewarn others and any responses may help others in my predicament.

teamcuba

papa lazarous 18:38 19 Apr 07

So you didn't use the recovery cd creation utility to make a set of disks before installing a new operating system? In that case you will need to recontact the Tech Guys and buy a set of XP disks - software is not covered uder any warranty by any manufaturer and the PC would have popped up disk creation reminders every time you booted it up. As for your volume & mute buttons not working it seems to me that the software that controls them that worked under XP is not Vista compatible which is why you get no volume display and just a beep from the mute button. Try going here click here and downloading the Vista compatible drivers and utilites for your laptop.

teamcuba 18:50 19 Apr 07

Thanks for your response and direction to the driver page, Im going to try the hardware buttons driver update. I intended to do a OS backup disc, but when i got to that stage, the option was greyed out (i told you it wasnt a straight forward install)- neither did i get the option to install, retaining my documents and settings, as the pack had advised...i think it's a bit rich that i have to purchase anew OS. When my MESH pc develpoed a fault, they took the tower back and did a clean install for me...no charge under warranty...i really cannot see the difference here, i have a licence for XP, I paid for this alongwith the laptop. This now means, that at anytime in the future, if my laptop goes boobs up, there is nothing that i can do except fork out for a new XP OS? surely not.

Quiet Life 18:58 19 Apr 07

click here
Worth looking at this link on how to do a Vista total install on an upgrade disc.

laurie53 19:34 19 Apr 07

The only action you need to take is to contact Trading Standards.

PC World are in breach of various bits of consumer protection legislation.

Laurie

medicine hat 20:33 19 Apr 07

You installed Vista 5 weeks ago. You noticed last week the on-screen display no longer worked. Was it working in the previous 4 weeks then?

May be worth dealing with Compaq click here Life is too short to have PC World issues

There is a difference with your Mesh as they built the system. PC World are just a retailer

SB23 20:36 19 Apr 07

I'm afraid I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I do hope you get it sorted, and I must be honest, just because you didn't make a backup of XP, how can that be seen as damage to the laptop?

I'll watch this thread, because my father in law may be affected by this, and I'm a little curious as to what happens.

Steve

teamcuba 20:48 19 Apr 07

thanks to everyone so far:
Quiet Life, will check your link wuth great interest!

Laurie53, thankyou for your support, i live in hope...

medicine hat, I believe the button worked fine, that is the ridiculous bit about it, surely a software issue would have been present immediately after install

SB23, my thoughts exactly.

medicine hat 22:19 19 Apr 07

This is HP's FAQs about Vista. I would assume Compaq's is identical though I haven't found it specifically click here

Section 9 confirms full support after Vista upgrade, presumably because they have certified the upgrade disk before ModusLink sent it to you, so XP does not need to be on your system.

Section 10 recommends that a backup is made prior to the upgrade but does not say it is necessary to continue the warranty.

ie those Tech Guys haven't got a clue

I'm intrigued by the first chap you spoke to "we were going through the process of recovery" - how far did you get and what were you doing?

I'm also intrigued with how you left things with "Michael". You could keep on at them - I think you will get the result you want eventually but it could be a frustrating journey

teamcuba 22:42 19 Apr 07

thanks for that! really appreciate it! :-)

teamcuba 22:45 19 Apr 07

re- first guy i spoke to last week...i had just rebooted and was pressing f11 as suggested, when the line went dead... there was no mention at that time of the need for an XP disc...it seemed funny at the time that the line went down, maybe he knew about the "workaround" and a jobsworth floorwalker came over and told him to terminate the call! it wouldnt surprise me...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5