PC WORLD GAVE MY DETAILS AWAY

ayrmail 10:23 28 Oct 03

Hi we bought a Pacard Bell PC for my girlfriend as she was getting fed up of me taking mine to bits as she wanted to use it.
Anaway not to bore you with all the details it had a problem with the modem so i took it back to the store after an enginer had been out and i had spent some time on the phone, they decided after much thought that they wanted to test it and test other machines after 2 hours they said its f@$£%^ and couldn't be fixed, exchanged for an advent, asked what would happen to the old one as it had my details on it don't worry they said it will go back to the supplyer. About a week later my girlfriend got a phone call from a guy who had bought a pc from above still had all our details on it also sold him it as new.

Sir Radfordin 10:29 28 Oct 03

Not the first time PC World (et al) have done this. Speak to Trading Standards about it, and perhaps also the manager of the branch you were dealing with.

ayrmail 10:39 28 Oct 03

Passed it on to trading standards they were not happy but can only act if the person who bought it complains. Also spoke to PC World manager was sympathetic and said he would insure the pc was cleared of our details but did not offer any explnation or any reason to belive it would not happen again. Passed it on to Data Protection body not hered back yet. Told by tading standards manager said he thought he had got away with it.

Sir Radfordin 10:58 28 Oct 03

Can you get in touch with the guy who was sold the computer? I'm guessing he returned it to PCWorld?

May be worth writing to PCW head office and complaining and see if they will offer you any compensation.

Doubt much else will come of it though.

obbit 14:36 28 Oct 03

thats discraceful. i hope you take them to court.

Forum Editor 18:04 28 Oct 03

for which you can take PC World to court for, but you can report them to the Information Commissioner, and you say you've done that.

Please bear in mind that for any action in respect of compensation to succeed you would have to show that you had suffered a loss as a result of the disclosure of your personal data - either a material loss (of money) or a loss of reputation or standing in the community. Such matters are always complex, and it's best not to contemplate such a course unless you have a very good case.

Perhaps you could post back with the exact detials of what "all our details" means - was the hard drive sold with a new machine? How long had you had the Packard Bell machine?

Before you write to anyone perhaps you could let me have the information by email as well? Just use the link in the blue square at top left of this page.

spuds 19:04 28 Oct 03

As Sir Rad as stated, this is not the first time PCW have sold on a 'clean machine'.They have stated on previous occassions, that their safeguards on this type of thing happening in the future, will be more secure. Apparently not in your case.Having dealt with the ICO,I do not think that you will achieve any personal benefit from that organization.I would suggest that you send a strongly worded, but polite letter to PCW HQ, and see what their response is like.Nothing like buying a second user machine, as new, especially when it as other peoples data on it!.

As suggested, it would be wise to have the person who contacted you, involved in this matter, if they are willing.It would appear as though they would be,considering their first contact approach, informing you of the misdemeaner.

critic-al 19:41 28 Oct 03

I Would like to here comments from the PCW supporters on this matter,as they always seem to defend any complaints or wrong doings by PCW,or will they stand up and be counted?.
there is also a law regarding data protection.
click here

mole44 20:06 28 Oct 03

lesson no1 always but alway ensure your data is erased,i use a program called destroyit to erase all my data on a disc before i get rid of my computers.anyone who fails to not keep there data safe has only themselves to blame.sorry to go on but would you leave all your bank statements in your dustbin or do you shread them ,there nuff said

ayrmail 21:10 28 Oct 03

mole44 you are right, as this was my second time back at the store the first time they could not reproduce the fault and that time i had removed all personal information this time i did not a lesson learnt.

davidg_richmond 23:11 30 Oct 03

Whether the machine goes back to the supplier or to a local store, it makes sense to erase your data as you never know who may have access to it within any organisation along the supply chain.

This kind of thing does happen every so often, but I can assure you that DSG's head office do their best to prevent it happening. In the end it boils down to the person who takes in the PC, as they should be making sure it goes into the right area of the stock room (the faulty returns to the manufacturer bay).

I would follow the advice given by others here and see what kind of offer you can get for the worry incurred by the leak of personal information. And don't mention the word 'compensation'. Its meaning has been tainted by all those bogus whiplash claims and no win no fee handouts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…