PC World Easter Special Desktop

sjm_411 17:21 17 Apr 06

Hi all, found out today PC World offering a Philips MT1600 for £699.99 and would appreciate any thoughts on the spec:

- Intel P4 524 processor (3.06GHz, 533FSB, 1MB cache)
- 160GB hard drive
- Multiformat DVD ReWriter drive
- 256Mb ATi Radeon X1300 Pro graphics
- Digital/analogue TV tuner and remote control
- 802.11g wireless network ready
- Wireless keyboard & mouse
- 19" flat panel TFT monitor

Been looking at loads of PCs which I've had some good advice already on this forum. Basically I'm looking for a desktop to handle games (mainly Flight Simulator), dvds, music, re-writing, etc that will also be "fairly future proof" (as much as possible!) with a 19" flat panel within a range of £650-£899.

Have also found these two which are on my "shortlist" so would really welcome ideas:

click here

click here

Would be grateful on the suggestions of the above and many thanks as always for your help.

Totally-braindead 17:50 17 Apr 06

To me "future proof" must also involve the ability to upgrade certain key items in the future. Namely the processor and the graphics card. If the computer didn't have a PCI Express slot I wouldn't consider it and if there was no info on the motherboard so I could find if it would take a faster processor I also wouldn't consider it but I couldn't afford a dual core processor so had to look for a board that would take a dual core in future. I build my own PCs and am quite willing to add or replace anything on my PC which is somewhat different to the majority of users.
The Carrera and the Time you give a link to are very fast machines and will likely do you for some time to come. Due to them both having high speed dual core processors the need to upgrade the processors is secondary. More important perhaps is the graphics, the Carrera mentions having a 16x PCI Express port so it should be ok but the Time one really does not give me enough info to base a decision, the Carrera is based on a lower end ECS motherboard but the Time one gives no info at all.
Personally I would have a look at the PCA charts in the latest magazine and start there.

Jimmy14 17:50 17 Apr 06

Can you please give me a link to the Philips MT1600 on Pc World for £600 as you said because I can't find it at all

Stuartli 18:00 17 Apr 06

Not £600, £699.99.

Doesn't seem all that exceptional a system, to me at least, merely based on this Mesh at the same price:

click here

Jimmy14 18:02 17 Apr 06

sorry I mistyped that price and got it wrong.

Stuartli 18:04 17 Apr 06

This is more of what I had in mind:

click here

Jimmy14 18:12 17 Apr 06

The computer you suggest from Evesham at £699 is ok but the graphics card is extremely unsuitable to handle games as sjm_411 wants because it is a budget one.

I understand that you can configure the system to the customers specifications but you would have to choose a different graphics card and the 512mb ram standard is also unsuitable for high demanding applications.

sjm_411 could still fit a new graphics card and more ram in and still be in the £899 budget but its up to him/her

Starfox 15:46 18 Apr 06

If you want a decent pc for gaming look at these click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…