PC World and Curry's

carver 12:38 20 Aug 14

Just what are these two (or one) company's thinking when you try to buy a product and you are told that you have to order it for next day delivery.

Monday I needed a new DVD writer for my daughters PC and looked on PC World website and thought that because the DVD writer was only about £4 dearer than an online web site I'd get one from them that day.

So trotted off to PC World which isn't far away (5 miles) and arrived and looked for the DVD writer, no sign of the one I wanted so asked at customer service where it was on the shop floor.

This was the reply, "we do not stock these items as we have this sort of stock in a central warehouse and it has to be ordered for next day delivery".

So 1 hour wasted plus petrol plus no writer, I was offered another DVD writer but that was about £15 dearer and not as good so no thank you.

Now what is the point in having a product that you advertise on the web but you can not buy in store at a price that is dearer than another web based company who will guaranty next day delivery.

No wonder I don't use PC World or Curry's to buy things, rubbish expensive store that try's to sell you what they want you to have.

Secret-Squirrel 13:04 20 Aug 14

You need to check the wording for the item. If it says Available to Order Online & Collect in Store from next day then it's not in stock at your local branch and will be delivered there for you to pick up. If on the other hand it says Available to Order Online & Collect in Store in 1 hour then it is in stock.

Secret-Squirrel 13:19 20 Aug 14

........and here is an example of the page you get after clicking "Add to basket" and then "Collect in store". You can tell at a glance which store has the item you want in stock.

Forum Editor 13:39 20 Aug 14

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

Woolwell 14:29 20 Aug 14

I do exactly what Secret-Squirrel has described and this has saved me more than one wasted journey. They seem to keep less stock than they used to probably as a cost saving measure as stock sitting on shelves in every store costs.

You can gave items delivered to your home or to the store. My limited experience of this indicates that you get items quicker by having them delivered to the store and then you collect.

carver 16:13 20 Aug 14

The point I was trying to make is why bother with them at all when you have to wait till next day for an item that can be delivered to your house the next day at no extra charge and it's cheaper to start with.

I will admit that I didn't take note of the wording used in the add but I bet that I'm not on my own for making that mistake.

spuds 16:48 20 Aug 14

The point I was trying to make is why bother with them at all when you have to wait till next day for an item that can be delivered to your house the next day at no extra charge and it's cheaper to start with.

Perhaps convenience, some people are not at home waiting for deliveries, but might find it easier to call at the local store later?.

One thing that I have noticed recently, is Argos are now doing some form of Collect from Store arrangement. click here

spuds 16:59 20 Aug 14

This was the scheme I was thinking about, that's recently been introduced click here

carver 17:01 20 Aug 14

I've just had a delivery from Scan computers and was given a one hour slot with the ability to have the item delivered to a neighbour so no waiting in.

There's nothing convenient about travelling 5 miles to pick up an item that's dearer than on line item and I'm lucky I have a car.

Secret-Squirrel 17:15 20 Aug 14

"... item that can be delivered to your house the next day at no extra charge..."

That may be useful to know. What tech companies offer that service?

Secret-Squirrel 12:30 21 Aug 14

Any news Carver? I had a to order a PC monitor this morning and I need it ASAP. The charge for next-day delivery was nearly £10 so your tip regarding "delivered to your house the next day at no extra charge" would have come in very handy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…